Gibson Brands Forums

Tell me about...........

.........the LG-2.  Found this good looking example on Reverb and am thinking it would be nice to have a pair of instruments that have little in common..........as in my current 185 v. an LG-sized guitar.  The only small body I ever owned was a Martin 00-18 several years back and, being attuned to dreadnoughts at the time, it didn't do much for me and it was soon moved on.  Certainly there are a few here that own LG series guitars and have some informative input for a potential buyer...........yes?

This is the current 50s version of the model and is brand-spanking new from last month.........

hYkJUA8.jpeg

I've got an LG-2 American Eagle that's 10 or so years old and while it's not my go to guitar most of the time (that's either my 50s J-45 or my IBG Epiphone Hummingbird) I really like.  Smaller body, so smaller sound, but really sweet.  I think you'll like it!

I owned the 50s reissue, as well as the American Eagle, which I gave to my son a half dozen years ago or do. He still loves it. The AE neck is much less full than the 50s reissue.  But they both sound fantastic. I love that model.

here was mine.

Edited by MorristownSal

Tastes great/ less filling.

I'm on my third. . . first a '49 that sounded so dry, there was no need to hang on to the '36 L-00. Then the all-mahogany which was tight, but (too?) meaty. Now, 'happy with the flawlessly built 50's LG-2, which is a nice mix of the earlier two. They can pick the blues, do the Americana thing, but with the right mix of technique (& long fingernails), mic'ing, and post production, JoiL shows how the LG-2 can be a helluva fingerpicking guitar:

Edited by 62burst

13 minutes ago, MorristownSal said:

I owned the 50s reissue, as well as the American Eagle, which I gave to my son a half dozen years ago or do. He still loves it. The AE neck is much less full than the 50s reissue.  But they both sound fantastic. I love that model.

here was mine.

Sounds sweet, Sal.

15 hours ago, 62burst said:

.........JoiL shows how the LG-2 can be a helluva fingerpicking guitar:

Whoa.  That is some seriously controlled playing.........lots of space, smooth dynamics, room to listen in this one.  Bravo.

The guitar sounds very nice.......pretty good balance.  Never was much of a fingerpicker but this is inspiring.

I owned a '48 LG2 - it was in great condition having been a church guitar for all those years. It had a nice C carve neck profile and decent tone, but of course no match in power or rich tone like my jumbo, so I sold it to a Nashville player a couple of months ago. I did like it a lot and it had a great soundhole fragrance.

57 minutes ago, MorristownSal said:

Simply terrific John… I love your LG-2 burst AND natural especially. Can you speak to their neck profiles?

Thanks for the kind words.

The necks are nearly identical on all three. A nice, full, rounded C. Not as big as the 1944 necks that didn't have metal trussrods.

The LG-2 is the oldest known Banner. It's the second guitar from the first batch of Banners. A young US soldier took it to the Pacific theater during WWII.  The LG-3 is my fave of the 3, usually. Also purchased by a young US soldier in 1943, but he left it at home, under a bed. minty. Not a hint of freeware. It's 1 of 130 Banner LG-3s ever shipped.

But I also love the LG-1. 1 of 139 of those Banner, X-braced LG-1s ever shipped. As some folks know, I often loan my guitars. The LG-2 has been in the hands of the wonderful Mia Byrne for 6 months, or so. The equally wonderful Mae Valeria has had my LG-1 for a similar amount of time. She's just been named a finalist in NPR's Tiny Desk Contest for her entry that she played on the guitar:

So, I'll be playing the LG-3 tonight! 🙂

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dave F said:

She gets a lot of sound out of the hog top LG1!

And plays it well, sings it beautifully, and writes a deeply meaningful song.

I love mahogany-topped Banners. That guitar is extraordinary and I'm humbled and honored to be able to put it in Mae's hands.

Just my opinion and preference - I think the small body Gibson's (LG and L00) need something extra to pull the sound out that I prefer. e.g. Long scale, deep body, thermally aged top, vintage aged wood. The standard stuff sounds okay but I'm getting picky in my old age.

4 minutes ago, MorristownSal said:

That hog top has the same heart of her generous owner. Respect JT.

Thank you for the very kind words.

What a privilege it has been for me to own these things. I have lent them far and wide. Emily Saliers (of the Indigo Girs) had one of my Banner SJs for a year. Jenniffer Nettles (of Sugarland) had the LG-1 for a year. My went-to-WWII SJ spent over a year in a museum. And on and on.

I'm a lucky fellow, especially given my personal challenges.

OK, off to play that Banner LG-3!