Gibson Brands Forums

The Dynamics of Pick Control

I play bass left handed and guitar right handed. I can throw in both arms and I can right with both hands...... But I can never find anything after I put it down somewhere... lol..

• Haha 1

On 4/9/2024 at 8:27 PM, sparquelito said:

I actually have one guitar pick that I got from Rick Derringer, at the side of the stage in a rock and roll bar in Frankfurt, Germany, in 1991. 

Edgar Winter with Rick Derringer was playing The Batschkapp in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, not long after I got home to Germany from the first Gulf War.

It was a memorable night, and Rick was a guitar hero to me. 
I can never let that pick go. 

🫠

Picks, in their capacity as "memory" markers that they trigger memories of past important events of what happened during your lifetime.

On 4/9/2024 at 9:24 PM, CROWB8 said:

Ah, sloppy prolly wasn't the best thing to call it. Back then, it was who could play the fastest. He took that trophy for sure. Just messy at times going at lightening speeds.

Physical Graffiti was prolly his best work, in that era, from a guit point of view. Self admitted, very heavy on guit. Bonham was on the bottle and Plant was back in the states nursing a broken leg. So it was left up to Jimmy and Jones to write and meet the deadline as I understand it.

The Led Zeppelin band was born out of ex-bandmates and friends of the Yardbirds which at that time, I completely failed to recognize the incredible talent within that group.  I thought they were a middle of the road, English Beat kind of rock band.  As for Jimmy, I've read many times about his playing unevenness but no one is at the top of their game 24/7. I guess when you literally party like a Rock star sometimes it takes a toll on you. However, Page wasn't known as a party animal from everything I've read. He had a serious demeanor from the earliest days and kept it throughout Led Zeppelin's glorious career. Today, he's like a distinguished statesman-gentleman,; a living Rock legend , and a musician extraordinaire emeritus. Page's supersonic runs on his guitar still give me goosebumps at times. By the time Zeppelin came out with Coda Zeppelin's demise  was self evident in the album title,

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 7:32 PM, RBSinTo said:

I have to admit that when I first read the title of this thread, I thought I was going to get advice about keeping my index fingers out of my nose.

Who knew?

RBSinTo

LOL! Well, imagine this...you just dipped your finger in Gorilla Snot to help stick your fingers to the pick and then, perhaps absent mindedly, you stiuck your fingers in your nose? The combination of your snot and Gorilla Snot are not very appealing.  My suggestion: Get a Navage for those nose clean-outs. You can thank me later....

New Pick Dynamics report:

Experiment number 101:  attempting to use stick on round cork finger circles onto a triangular pick. Result: a less than satisfactory grip and control on the pick. Conclusions: promote the customized pick concept (anyone want to go on Shark Tank with me?)  with an initial customer charge for a 3-D finger depth impression that is then made into the proprietary molding material that has the customized finger imprint, providing superior added grip and pick control. To protect exposed knuckles,, a different configuration could provide a protective rubber shield like on a baby pacifier's  with the business end being a pick. Who's with me to take this into production?  PM me.

38 minutes ago, John Shiflet said:

LOL! Well, imagine this...you just dipped your finger in Gorilla Snot to help stick your fingers to the pick and then, perhaps absent mindedly, you stiuck your fingers in your nose? The combination of your snot and Gorilla Snot are not very appealing.  My suggestion: Get a Navage for those nose clean-outs. You can thank me later....

John,

I never absent mindedly stick a finger in my nose. It is always a lovingly, deliberate action. 

And although their commercials claim that "Navage is the innovation everyone is talking about", frankly, I don't know anyone who has ever even mentioned this idiotic invention, let alone owned one. 

Thanks, but I'll pass.

RBSinTo

22 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

John,

I never absent mindedly stick a finger in my nose. It is always a lovingly, deliberate action. 

And although their commercials claim that "Navage is the innovation everyone is talking about", frankly, I don't know anyone who has ever even mentioned this idiotic invention, let alone owned one. 

Thanks, but I'll pass.

RBSinTo

No offense was intended, of course, I'm just a snotty nosed newbie here who may unwittingly annoy some people. Everything i write comes from the heart.   Too much seriousness in a topic tends to taper off conversations. I just wanted to discuss and explore the different aspects of pick playing and explore how the connection between the fingers and the strings can be improved to communicate our musical ideas into  our playing. The commercialization shtick was tongue in cheek by one who was living in a California intentional community in 2007.  Namaste`

2 hours ago, John Shiflet said:

you just dipped your finger in Gorilla Snot to help stick your fingers to the pick and then, perhaps absent mindedly, you stiuck your fingers in your nose? The combination of your snot and Gorilla Snot are not very appealing.  My suggestion: Get a Navage for those nose clean-outs.

So any ideas how to remove a finger AND a Navage device from a nose?  Asking for a friend who mistook the Gorilla glue for the Gorilla snot...    ...again.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, John Shiflet said:

No offense was intended, of course, I'm just a snotty nosed newbie here who may unwittingly annoy some people. Everything i write comes from the heart.   Too much seriousness in a topic tends to taper off conversations. I just wanted to discuss and explore the different aspects of pick playing and explore how the connection between the fingers and the strings can be improved to communicate our musical ideas into  our playing. The commercialization shtick was tongue in cheek by one who was living in a California intentional community in 2007.  Namaste`

John,

You apologize often enough to be Canadian.

Not to worry. I never take offence at anything said to me on line. 

Just keep the flags of discontent and smart-assery flying.

Now excuse me while I take a short break to get at that stubborn booger in Nostral L.

RBSinTo 

• Haha 1

After a panoramic dental radiologic scan of my head, my dentist told me I had unusually large sinuses.  Approximately 3 decades ago,  it just occurred to me he may actually have been suggesting what took up the rest of the space in my head was unusually small.  

• 2 months later...

An update on the topic seemed to be in order so interestingly, I've noted today Facebook ads for "textured surfaced" picks are appearing. One I felt might be the most comfortable, featured soft rubber nibs that flattened to the contour of the thumb and forefinger.  One brand was called "Goonis Pick" with a textured rubber surface.  Another, more conforming to the triangular shaped picks (Clayton Bulldogs) I like (I'm a lefty playing right handed-yeah, I know...)  are the interestingly textured Devin Townsend picks. I've long believed that ergonomic friendly picks would benefit many musicians but those especially in the senior age bracket-yeah, I know again, it's the whole, OK Boomer thing.  Anyhow, doubtful my original post stimulated any creative minds (evidenced by postings from others showing their original  pick ideas) I still maintain anyone playing guitar at a dexterity disadvantage needs a comfortable,  easy to hold and grip pick so I'm encouraged to see some new products in that direction coming to market. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who's tried these new picks and how well they felt and performed. I see ergonomic-sensitive-to-movement picks as important aids in mastering nuanced guitar playing.

• Like 1