Gibson Brands Forums

1964 SG Standard With Maestro Vibrola Pelham Blue Ultra Light Aged, Pelham Blue - PEEL OFF

I realize the warranty expressly excludes finish issues, which puts you up a creek with no boat, but I would definitely take that to a Gibson dealer and start trying to return it.

rct

Isn’t that kinda the point of a ML?  There isn’t any way to authentically age them artificially without damaging the finish.  But that does seem a bit extreme.  I agree with rct, worth a try to get a return, but be prepared to embrace the “enhancements.” Sorry dude.  

• 1 month later...

Hello, can you help with details on what is going on here. I just bought a Pelham blue murphy lab and worrying if this is a general issue.  I understand that the finish is more brittle (supposedly, as I hear, like an original 1964 paint job) and will age (which I like) though if it is this fragile, which is not what I see on vintage, and does what I see in the picture, wondering if I should return and go with VOS.  Comments and feedback appreciated from others.  I don't mind dings and stuff bought if the paint chips off in larger pieces with a little bump or by itself,  this is a problem in my book.

4 hours ago, ma6515 said:

Hello, can you help with details on what is going on here. I just bought a Pelham blue murphy lab and worrying if this is a general issue.  I understand that the finish is more brittle (supposedly, as I hear, like an original 1964 paint job) and will age (which I like) though if it is this fragile, which is not what I see on vintage, and does what I see in the picture, wondering if I should return and go with VOS.  Comments and feedback appreciated from others.  I don't mind dings and stuff bought if the paint chips off in larger pieces with a little bump or by itself,  this is a problem in my book.

From what I understand a dinged up, flaking/crazed finish job is kinda the point of a ML.  They are out of the factory meant to be prematurely “aged” and to keep on “aging” at an accelerated rate.  if it were me, and I wasn’t smitten with it, I’d return it and buy a regular CS version, and ding it up honestly.  At least you’ll have the stories to tell…. Good luck.  

On 4/23/2024 at 10:30 AM, rrodrrigues said:

This is my SG 64 Murphy Lab 2023 😭😭😭

I think it will peel off completely 😭

What can I do to reverse this?

sg64-2.jpeg

Not buy one. I guess TM’s stuff is not all that and a bag of Lays potato chips as we are told by the adoring masses . But but but it’s reliced by the Master. I’d get my $ back if you can. 

On 4/26/2024 at 8:56 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

How many licks does it take to get to the chocolatey center?

3 as per the commercial. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

That looks a little extreme in the wanna be vintage look.  

over reduced clear in large amount then shock the clear to check it. Creates issues.  

its obvious someone is lacking skills at Gibson.   Thats a expensive aweful.   As for reversing or repairing.  Nope.   .