Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

1961? Gibson Acoustic


Al Jones

Recommended Posts

I have a guitar that I inherited, and I'm having a hard time getting the correct age and model. 

I haven't seen one like this one with the pick-up accessory (factory install), and I'm not able to verify it by the number stamped in the body. The number stamped is: S6958-27

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this type of number and what year it was made. I'll add a picture of the number in another post.

Guitar resized.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Do you remember The Beatles? 

A treat to see early Abbey Road studio with the vintage electronics and the Lads with the gear the song was recorded with.  Never noticed Paul enjoying playing the bass line there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I bought a Gibson guitar from an Indiana pawn shop in 1978 for $100 with the intent to learn how to play -- it sat in its case ever since (I always meant to learn).

When I pulled it out a couple years ago, thinking I would finally learn, I discovered the tuners were disintegrating, so I took it into a guitar shop for replacement, and the guy said it was a 1963 J-160E. He said it was somewhat valuable, and if I was wanting to learn, I should get another, cheaper guitar.

He said the serial number is '56938 _18__', and I always wondered what the '_18__'  meant, but I could never find any reference on those added numbers and haven't seen them elsewhere.

Now, I see the added numbers here on Al Jones' Guitar.

Two questions:

1.  What do those added numbers mean?

2.  Do you think my first number is an 'S' instead of a '5' and 1959 had those added numbers?

Thanks

 

56938_18__.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 


Vintage Guitars Info - Gibson collecting vintage gibson guitars (guitarhq.com)

http://www.guitarhq.com/fonnum.jpg

 

    • Factory Order Numbers with a Letter, 1952 to 1961.
      This letter preceeds the batch number within the Factory Order Number (FON), and denotes the year of manufacturer. Remember, the batch number is the first 4 digits of the FON, followed by a 1 or 2 digit sequence number (within the batch). This letter should be before the FON batch number. This was used on archtop models (ink stamped inside treble F-hole) and on flat top models (ink stamped on the neck block), from 1952 to 1961:
  • Year    Letter
    ----    ------
    1952    Z
    1953    Y
    1954    X
    1955    W
    1956    V
    1957    U
    1958    T
    1959    S
    1960    R
    1961    Q
    
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/29/2024 at 11:58 PM, Larsongs said:

Do you remember The Beatles? John & George played them… From what I’ve read it’s the only Beatles Guitar that appears on every Beatles Album…

Does that mean we hear the 160 on Across The Universe and fx the jabs on Polythene Pam. . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SkyDanley said:

Two questions:

1.  What do those added numbers mean?

2.  Do you think my first number is an 'S' instead of a '5' and 1959 had those added numbers?

Thanks

 

56938_18__.jpg

The S means 1959. The 6958 is the factory order number, which has no significance; that is to say there is no hidden information in it. They made many of their models in lots of 40; yours was #18 of that lot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Larsongs said:

It appears on every Album.. Not necessarily on every song with an Acoustic Guitar.. They used Martins, Gibsons, Epiphones, Hootenanny’s & others too.. 

Yes yes, , , and I gave my bids. Don't believe Across the Universe featured the 28. 

8 hours ago, Dave F said:

I believe Abbey Road did not use the 160. George was into his J200 at that time. 

Still think the 3 Pam-jabs were the 160. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Yes yes, , , and I gave my bids. Don't believe Across the Universe featured the 28. 

Still think the 3 Pam-jabs were the 160. 

George wasn’t the only one that played Guitars in “The Beatles”. George & John both had J-160’s.. George did play a J-200 on “Here Comes the Sun”. But, likely there are other songs with other Acoustics on Abbey Road including the J-160E.

Here is a Source if you want to read it..

Meet the Beatles Guitars | GuitarPlayer

Oct 25, 2021 · “To my knowledge, the J-160E is the only guitar that was played on every Beatles album, from Please Please Me right to Abbey Road.
Edited by Larsongs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

George wasn’t the only one that played Guitars in “The Beatles”. George & John both had J-160’s.. George did play a J-200 on “Here Comes the Sun”. But, likely there are other songs with other Acoustics on Abbey Road including the J-160E.

Here is a Source if you want to read it..

Meet the Beatles Guitars | GuitarPlayer

Oct 25, 2021 · “To my knowledge, the J-160E is the only guitar that was played on every Beatles album, from Please Please Me right to Abbey Road.

Thx - the page misses out a lot a guitars, fx the ES-335 Harrison briefly had in 1965/66. 

Here's the Polythene Pam passage in the new mix. Wiki says it's Lennon on 12-string - doesn't really sound like a 12er to me.                                                                                                                       As mentioned perhaps the 160 double-tracked then thinned at the desk. 
 

                                                                                                             Could of course also be the stripped Epiphone C miked up from the front. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's the list of instruments on Abbey Road per Beatle WIKI. I've read other accounts that an accurate list the instruments that used was not kept.

Abbey Road (album) | The Beatles Wiki | Fandom

Instruments

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Here's the list of instruments on Abbey Road per Beatle WIKI. I've read other accounts that an accurate list the instruments that used was not kept.

Abbey Road (album) | The Beatles Wiki | Fandom

Instruments

This link debunk the idea of a 160 on Abbey Road. Besides claims Across The Universe was recorded on the 28.

https://leftyguitarist.music.blog/2020/02/16/did-the-beatles-use-a-gibson-j-160e-on-every-album/

 

                                                                                                                                                                Never heard A T Univers as a Mart. dread - must listen again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

This link debunk the idea of a 160 on Abbey Road. Besides claims Across The Universe was recorded on the 28.

https://leftyguitarist.music.blog/2020/02/16/did-the-beatles-use-a-gibson-j-160e-on-every-album/

 

                                                                                                                                                                Never heard A T Univers as a Mart. dread - must listen again. 

What strings did they use? What about mics and studio monitors to listen to it back on? Who made John’s glasses? What sticks did Ringo play with? Who made Paul’s shoes he wore when foot tapping on Blackbird? You can debate it all you want. Speculate all you want. Unless there is video evidence, it’s just a guess. I just listen to their albums and enjoy them, and don’t put them under the microscope to the n’th degree. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...