Gibson Brands Forums

Amp around or under 1 grand?

Slick Joe

Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express...1x12 combo = $1299...2x12 combo = $1399

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10051&langId=-1&productId=900261989

Made in the USA and built to last...

Maybe cheaper if you shop around...

I know that those things are built like tanks but i have never seen a mesa boogie amp in my life, simply because i have no idea where the hell id go if i even wanted to try one :-k There isnt a single music store around me that carries them

But like I was saying, what u guys think about the Peavey Valveking Half Stack? 900 bucks, seems like a sweet deal, and all the power ill ever need :D

I think I will prob end up goin with that haze amp though

Which haze version do you guys predict will be best suited for what I'm lookin for, the 15 watt head + 1X12 cabinet or the 14 watt combo? Mind you, what I'm looking for is for it to be gig-able (small venues and outdoor parks)

The half stack (15 watt one) doesnt have an effects loop which is annoying but if the combo is the louder of the two then id probably want that

Slick Joe:

If you're considering those wattages' date=' why don't you consider a Mesa 5:25. It's awesome. That is what I use and it is really superb. Costs about $1050.[/quote']

Where do you get ahold of Mesa's? No music places around me carry them as far as I know of :/

Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express...1x12 combo = $1299...2x12 combo = $1399

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10051&langId=-1&productId=900261989

Made in the USA and built to last...

Maybe cheaper if you shop around...

Do you have any comments on the 525 vs. 550? Also the 550 1x12 vs. 550 2x12?

The way they are priced I am thinking i might as well get the 550 2x12.

There's a dealer finder at the Mesa web site. The problem with tube amps is that the dealers in your area may only collectively sell a few brands. This limits what you can try out. That's true with solid state too, but it's a much larger market.

I really don't know what else I can tell you except that you have to try some out, and see what you like. I don't think mail order is a good idea because you don't get to try it. However, if you go to youtube or other sites that give demos that convince you an amp is for you, then maybe mail order is OK.

I got the Mesa 5:25 for the following reasons:

1) Good sound

2) Two parallel channels, with separate knobs for each channel

3) Four modes: clean, blues (more distortion), crunch, and burn (most distortion).

4) Foot pedal to switch modes comes with it.

5) 5 watt mode for my playing at home. 25 watt mode if I want to play louder for some reason.

6) Good support for repairs and parts.

7) Good looking.

8) Has effects loop

9) Has reverb built in.

I believe the 5:50 is similar.

My second choice was a Fender Blues Junior.

I play only at home, so I am not interested in a loud amp.

Archived