Gibson Brands Forums

What are the Dumbest laws in America?

Fraid i dont knowabout the USA laws so heres

The UK’s top 10 most ridiculous British laws

3. It is illegal for a woman to be topless in Liverpool except as a clerk in a tropical fish store

This must make for some interesting pet stores I'm guessing fish are big in Liverpool ???

...Fishing with explosives is against the law…
Believe it or not Dynamite fishing was quite common back in the day.

...You cannot fish with your bare hands in Kansas…
"Hogging" for catfish is also quite common and legal in other states. A bit more dangerous for the fisherman. Sometimes what you grab' date=' sight unseen isn't the flat head you thought it was. Otters and cotton mouths are not amused by being 'hogged'.

...you cannot fish with a bow and arrow ...
Another common way of catching fish. In my opinion is a greater challenge than hook and line. Though it does make catch and release less effective.

You cannot set fire to your mule if it balks… only in other circumstances I guess

I did hear once of a man who had a mulely mule who wouldn't pull the buckboard he was hitched to. Frustrated' date=' he litterally set a fire under him. You guessed it. The mule moved... about 10 feet. Took about a half our to put the buckboard out.

If a 2 yr old mule runs wild and is not claimed within two days, anyone may castrate the animal… the poor mule, where is PETA when you need them?…

P eople for the

E ating of

T asty

A nimals.

Seriously, here's one. Recently, in the State of Illinois, it has become illegal to eat, cook, process the meat of or butcher a horse, even for sale to other countries who have no compunction for eating horse meat.

Here's another:

Any person who is born on US soil is automatically a US citizen. The parent's nationality is not considered. Too many are jumping the border for the express purpose of giving birth.

This also disqualifies the child born to 1 or 2 US citizens while in a foreign country. My cousin, born to two US citizens, had to become 'naturalized' simply because she was born in England. Not a big thing. About the only thing it affects is her ability to run for President of the United States.. But we see how that Constitutional provision was circumvented.

It isn't really a law, it's in the Bill of Rights. It made sense at the time it was enacted back in 1776 when travel to and from and though the United States, was infrequently done.

In SC:

1. It is illegal for horses to be kept in bathtubs

2. A permit must be obtained to fire a missle.

3. It is illegal to give or receive oral sex in South Carolina.

4. When approaching a four way or blind intersection in a non-horse driven vehicle you must stop 100 ft from the intersection and discharge a firearm into the air to warn horse traffic.

5. It is perfectly legal to beat your wife on the court house steps on Sundays.

On a side note, I think you would be arrested if you tried #4 or #5 but these laws are still on the books.

Here's another:

Any person who is born on US soil is automatically a US citizen. The parent's nationality is not considered. Too many are jumping the border for the express purpose of giving birth.

This also disqualifies the child born to 1 or 2 US citizens while in a foreign country. My cousin' date=' born to two US citizens, had to become 'naturalized' simply because she was born in England. Not a big thing. About the only thing it affects is her ability to run for President of the United States.. But we see how that Constitutional provision was circumvented.

It isn't really a law, it's in the Bill of Rights. It made sense at the time it was enacted back in 1776 when travel to and from and though the United States, was infrequently done.[/quote']

I was born to an English father and American mother so i know how that feels, My Mother by the way was born to Spanish Immigrants in America.

I always wondered what Nationality are people that are born in the Ocean? Since the ocean belongs to no country i would assume they would be nowhere man.

All London Cab's must carry a bail of Hay in the boot (Trunk)... This law has been unchanged since the days when Taxis were horse drawn..

Its illegal to take a pi55 in the street unless its on the rear kerb side wheel of your car, This also go's back to the horse drawn carriage days when you could hide yourself under the rear wheel arch and thus be out of public view...

Flight959

Rocky, I had a cop tell me that when I was 16.

Said that a good ***-whoopin' is way under-rated.

Since been confirmed many, many times by others I know in law enforcement.

I subscribe to that belief 100%.

Here's another:

This also disqualifies the child born to 1 or 2 US citizens while in a foreign country. My cousin' date=' born to two US citizens, had to become 'naturalized' simply because she was born in England. Not a big thing. About the only thing it affects is her ability to run for President of the United States.. But we see how that Constitutional provision was circumvented.

It isn't really a law, it's in the Bill of Rights. It made sense at the time it was enacted back in 1776 when travel to and from and though the United States, was infrequently done.[/quote']

Any person born to a single US citizen is a US citizen, but there may have been more documentation necesary to show it. Got a friend who was born in Canada to a military person, but off-base. Still a citizen by birth, but he has a Certificate of Citizenship (which is not the same as naturalization. My kids have the same thing).

I was born to an English father and American mother so i know how that feels' date=' My Mother by the way was born to Spanish Immigrants in America.

I always wondered what Nationality are people that are born in the Ocean? Since the ocean belongs to no country i would assume they would be nowhere man.[/quote']

People born at sea would have the nationality of their parent(s).

John McCain was born on non-US soil to American parents. A statute finally clarified exactly what was meant by citizenship by birth in 1934, I believe. US citizenship is a combination of "Jus soli" and "Jus sanguinis" inheritance. Meaning you can acquire citizenship either 'by soil' (Being born on U.S. soil) or "by blood" (being born to a citizen). Citizenship is also conferred to anyone born within U.S. controlled territory such as Puerto Rico, the USVI and Guam.

Huge article on the subject here, but 2006 law essentially categorized 10 groups of people as natural born, including anyone born to a U.S. citizen or born on U.S. territory--with the exception of American Samoa, where they become U.S. nationals at birth.

http://www.americanlaw.com/citabrd.html

Archived