Gibson Brands Forums

J-200

84Winston19

Hmm

I find myself in an awkward position coming to a board to ask for advice

but I truly am interested in anyones opinion.

After stints in folk bands, with rock undertones I have redefined my sound

I am now a young guitarist gone violinist, and a prolific songwriter.

At 18 I write every idea down into song that is tangential to my life. Not **** either

I am an active performer and play out often

enough about myself

The true question:

I have went from a Gibson Sg into the world of good- find- pawn shop guitars. Now i want to make an investment.

I want a guitar in which the straight finger picking resonates with rich over tones, and when playing the progression GMaj-D7-eMinor-CMaj booms out nostalgic and confident presence.

I have been looking at the SJ 200 Modern Classic for a couple years, but finally have come to the realization that I am a mature enough songwriter to own one.

can anyone think of reasons I shouldn't, or suggest something more fitting

I feel liek it is an investment i will hand to my son with pride, with top wood wear marks and small dings/

Any owners with input?

Is the the songwriters dream that I think it to be?

Thanks

i say you can't go wrong with the SJ-200 - check out a J45 too, you may find yourself liking it a lot. When it comes down to it though, if it's the SJ200 you've been dreaming about then you should go for it. it's a fantastic guitar.

play a bunch and get the one that speaks to you the most.

An Advanced Jumbo would be an excellent choice for fingerpicking the progression you speak of. Be aware that the AJ does not come with electronics though they can be added. But the SJ-200 is a great guitar if thats the sound you want, go for it. A lot of fingerpickers prefer the rosewood body over maple.

However, I own a J-185 which is very similar to the J-200 and I love it.

I have a J-45 and an SJ-200 and either will do what you are asking for. I fingerpick about 90% of the time and have no problem with the SJ-200 in that regard. I wouldn't give either of them up. Jinder should be along soon to give you a good primer on this subject. In the meantime have a look!

Pic1210.jpg

If you are going to do a lot of fingerpicking, try out a True Vintage series J-200 or the limited edition True Vintage if you can find one. I had a '93 J-200, more like a Modern Classic, though it wasn't called that back then. The '93 was more heavily built, and didn't respond all that well for fingerstyle. Probably the Modern Classic nowadays is built lighter. My Limited Edition True Vintage is built really lightly and responds much better for fingerstyle. It will help if you can compare the various J-200 models side by side. If you ever get down to Texas, Fuller's Vintage has a pretty impressive selection of J-200's as well as other Gibsons. The Advanced Jumbo is a great guitar as well, though it's a very different from a J-200. You'll find your guitar--just play as many as you can! Best of luck!

The J200 in any configuration is a fine guitar and I own one myself, but if you are wanting the best in an instrument to be fingerpicked, you can do better than the King of the Flattops. While it may be serviceable for that purpose, the sheer size of the 200's top should be an indication that it takes a bunch of string movement to drive it - it's a big ol' piece of spruce that needs pushing to deliver what the instrument is famous for. True fingerpickers generally prefer smaller bodied guitars like Martin 0, 00 and 000 sizes. The smaller top drives much easier with the light touch of the fingers and, in my opinion, thereby produces a fuller, richer tone for the same player input. I know my rosewood Western Classic sounds okay fingerpicked, but it really roars under a pick. If you have a specific purpose in mind for an instrument you would be well served to buy one that excels at that purpose, not one that will do.

But hey, if you love the SJ200 don't let me turn your head........just food for thought.

The J200 in any configuration is a fine guitar and I own one myself' date=' but if you are wanting the best in an instrument to be fingerpicked, you can do better than the King of the Flattops.[/quote']

I own a Pete Townshend J-200 and I agree with Buc. If you're looking to do mostly fingerpicking, you could do better. My personal opinion is that the best *all-around* guitar in the Gibson line is a J-45. My TV model sounds great picked, strummed, whatever and I use it to accompany my singing on many occasions. If you're going to have one, that's the one to get IMHO.

On the other hand, I just did a show a couple of night ago and trotted out my Petey for some strumming and flatpicking. Apart from being a looker, it sounded great and is definitely something you can hand down to your kids.

I thought Buc's description of the SJ-200 was really well written and right on the mark. As an owner of both the J-45 and SJ-200 I've found their strengths. The SJ-200 does "get the job done" in the finger picking department but, yes, there are better for that purpose. If you are someone who likes to fingerpick with a thumb pick and two or more finger picks, you'll get even more out of her. I'd have a hard time choosing between the two of them but I don't have to, so I won't! I think you'll get the one that's right for you and you can't go wrong. Good luck.

I didn't explain all too well

what I meant was that I want a solid defined finger picking loud sound (I use nails)

But probably just as often I am strumming with pick.

that "Demo" Progression (GMaj-D7-emin-CMaj) was for anyone who owned one to play as it is a pretty good progression to test the timbre of an instrument in my opinion.

I will definitely look into the recommended J-45

I still have a slight aesthetic preference to the 200

but it is an investment i will not go into haphazardly based on looks

Thanks again for the advice

I played my first gig in 1966 and do not have a clue what "nostalgic and confident presence" means in terms of a guitar's sound.

One of the main reasons I have played slope shoulder big box Gibsons for alot of decades is they love aggressive playing. The are at their very best when ya drive the tops. They take really well to raising the action and some heavier guage strings. About the only guitar I have owned that was better than a Gibson in this respect was a mid-1930s National Style O.

If ya want a strummer - Gibsons are the best on the planet. They are loud and can really cut through the mix. But if you fingerpick with a light touch, ya might find the slope shoulder jumbos won't do it for you. If ya like a bright, ringing sound - a Gibson J-200 or J-45 might not be the one although a Hummingbird might do the trick.

I "multi-task" my guitars - don't use this one for that style of playing of that one for another (I play only with my fingers). I take whichever one I am in the mood to take. Both my guitars handle Lightnin' Hopkins trills and Blind Blake thumb slips with ease. They both thrive on playing around the nut and when tuned down can give off the fattest sounding A7 ever heard. They are both loud enough to chase the Hellhound of anyone's trail. But if I wanted to playing fast, clean bluegrass leads I would probably own a Martin dread.

Probably the biggest difference between my J-200 and SJ is that the J-200 is more aticulate - the notes ring clearer when played higher up the board. But when it comes to some straight and natch'el blues, that slight nasal sound that comes from the SJ when you play up the board is magic.

It all comes down to matching your style of playing with a guitar.

One more time

take your guitar' date=' strum G-D7-e-C full blast

in a Folsom Prison Blues kind of rhythm

What emotion does it convey[/quote']

Well, I did play the above progression and it didn't convey much if anything at all to me. It's just a basic progression.

I think the best way you're going to find the guitar that best suits your purposes is to go out and play a bunch of them, as some have suggested. If you're drawn to the super jumbo, give it a try. I've got one and it's a fine strummer. I thought it was a good fingerpicker, too, until I got an OM, which blows it away IMHO when it comes to fingerstyle.

Of course YMMV, which is why it's so important to play a variety of guitars yourself. If you've got a good shop nearby, go spend an afternoon leisurely playing what they have to offer. As somebody said, when you play the right one, you'll know.

Archived