Gibson Brands Forums

Bad Inlay Work?

z-clay

I went to Guitar Center yesterday to purchase a Les Paul and found a 2006 Standard cherry burst with a plus top. However, the rosewood board was very pale in color and the 9th position inlay had a considerable gap on the treble side that had been filled with that dark glue commonly seen on cheaper guitars with ill fitting inlays. The guitar is not marked 2nd.

Is this a common occurance on Gibson products?

Is their any remedy for fixing this ?

I went to Guitar Center yesterday to purchase a Les Paul and found a 2006 Standard cherry burst with a plus top. However' date=' the rosewood board was very pale in color and the 9th position inlay had a considerable gap on the treble side that had been filled with that dark glue commonly seen on cheaper guitars with ill fitting inlays. The guitar is not marked 2nd.

Is their any remedy for fixing this ?[/quote']

No

I went to Guitar Center yesterday to purchase a Les Paul and found a 2006 Standard cherry burst with a plus top. However' date=' the rosewood board was very pale in color and the 9th position inlay had a considerable gap on the treble side that had been filled with that dark glue commonly seen on cheaper guitars with ill fitting inlays. The guitar is not marked 2nd.

Is their any remedy for fixing this ?[/quote']

5hit workmanship....

Just avoid it...

Flight959

...Guitar Center...found a 2006 Standard cherry burst with a plus top. However' date=' the rosewood board was very pale in color and the 9th position inlay had a considerable gap on the treble side that had been filled with that dark glue commonly seen on cheaper guitars with ill fitting inlays. Is this a common occurance on Gibson products?[/quote']

5hit workmanship.... Just avoid it...

Geez, you think they could've as least centered the inlay. flight959 is right, and that's the reason you should avoid buying gibson sight unseen - just as you have done. There's enough "minor" "cosmetic" problems coming out of gibson to take caution when buying.

The Good fix is to get it cheep because of the Flaw.

Then later have a pro cut a new inlay' date=' if its a big problem with you.[/quote']

+1

This is true...

A former colleague of mine had a Gibson Les Paul. He purchased it at the local guitarshop used (mind you) for approximately 800$ (this is really cheap here in Norway where a used Gibson easily is sold for up to 2000$).

Reason?

The paint was damaged with some ugly graphic markings that the previous owner had put on.

My colleague took the guitar home and cleaned it with a cloth moistened with white spirit... this removed the permanent marker drawing... The shop could easily have made a few bucks more on this guitar if they have tried a tougher solvent. The white spirit didn't damage the finish either.

Anyway... your "problem" isn't this easy, but shouldn't be that difficult to fix for someone who know his craftmanship.

Get a good deal if the guitar is good otherwise...

Thanks for all of the replys and advice.

I ended up passing on this particular Standard. The guitar was reasonably priced at $1699.00 but I will admit that I'm picky on workmanship.

I looked at several Traditionals this weekend because they are close to my price range but I didnt like any of them. I was telling a friend of mine about how hard it is to find a decent Les Paul and he said that I should try his Custom......... I loved it but found out its $3500.00 for a new one.

I guess I'm just going to keep playing my Telecaster. I was so ready to buy a Les Paul and basically came up empty and disappointed.

Archived