Gibson Brands Forums

Why is it so hard to find a Murphy Lab 60 Les Paul in anything but some version of cherry sunburst?

rpavich

I'm on the hunt for a Murphy Lab Les Paul. I THINK (but not 100% certain) that I want a 60 and not a 59 due to neck size...I MIGHT be able to get by with the smallest 59 neck available though...not sure...I haven't touched one yet. My current les Paul's are a Classic, and a 96 Standard in Cherry sunburst. (which is why I don't want another cherry sunburst one)

Why is it so hard to find a Lemon fade, dirty lemon...a "super faded" 60's cherry finish?

OR 
should I just give up the hunt and look for the smallest 59 neck I can find? I'm not sure how close in feel they are.

I suspect it may be because  all the 50's bursts left the factory in Cherry Sunburst and subsequently faded to the colours you desire, so basically fade it yourself (apparently they will fade just as the originals did).

On 5/29/2024 at 9:47 AM, IanHenry said:

I suspect it may be because  all the 50's bursts left the factory in Cherry Sunburst and subsequently faded to the colours you desire, so basically fade it yourself (apparently they will fade just as the originals did).

Isn't that just what Murphy's job is though?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Mine's more of a French Onion Soup burst.

I hope with melted Gruyère Cheese and a toasted baguette slice on top?

Now I to make F O S.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, 'Scales said:

Tomato soup burst? What the

i’ve been to Gruyère a couple of times over the years - their fondue where you dunk potato in the cheese..🥰 oh man….

I know I'm a sarcastic SOB, but you can't make this stuff up. Its just too funny.

That is called raclette. I had it in Switzerland when I was there, and fondue as well. So good. I would go back to the Suisse in a heartbeat.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/p/Electric-Guitar/CUS6Y3562/Wide-Tomato-Burst

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I know I'm a sarcastic SOB, but you can't make this stuff up. Its just too funny.

That is called raclette. I had it in Switzerland when I was there, and fondue as well. So good. I would go back to the Suisse in a heartbeat.

Okay, I love fondue, of all kinds.  And here’s a story:

Being somewhat sheltered growing up, when we were first together a lot of our dating was me showing my sweetie all sorts of new foods. Like real Chinese food, that wasn’t chow mein, and artichokes with hollandaise sauce, rack of lamb, and yes, fondue.  

It so happened that the first one we had was cheese, with nice crusty bread.  It became one of her favorite meals.  So we had it frequently.  

For Christmas my family would always do beef fondue, and I was really looking forward to showing her this variation for a real treat.  She loved steak and deep fried things, so I figured it was a no brainer…

But every time I broached it I got this really cool, evasive response, really unusual for her with my culinary adventures.  She was always game for everything.  

So I finally aksed, “So, what’s up? You seem really resistant to the beef fondue?”

She danced around, not wanting to disappoint me, but finally blurted out, “But does the cheese gets hot enough to cook the meat?” 😁

Beef fondue still one of our favorite Christmas meals, and favorite stories.  

Edited by PrairieDog

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Okay, I love fondue, of all kinds.  And here’s a story:

Being somewhat sheltered growing up, when we were first together a lot of our dating was me showing my sweetie all sorts of new foods. Like real Chinese food, that wasn’t chow mein, and artichokes with hollandaise sauce, rack of lamb, and yes, fondue.  

It so happened that the first one we had was cheese, with nice crusty bread.  It became one of her favorite meals.  So we had it frequently.  

For Christmas my family would always do beef fondue, and I was really looking forward to showing her this variation for a real treat.  She loved steak and deep fried things, so I figured it was a no brainer…

But every time I broached it I got this really cool, evasive response, really unusual for her with my culinary adventures.  She was always game for everything.  

So I finally aksed, “So, what’s up? You seem really resistant to the beef fondue?”

She danced around, not wanting to disappoint me, but finally blurted out, “But does the cheese gets hot enough to cook the meat?” 😁

It’s still one of our favorite meals, and favorite stories.  

Take her to one of those hot pot places where you cook the meat in the boiling cauldron. Just went a few weeks back for my son, and step sons birthdays that are one day apart. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Take her to one of those hot pot places where you cook the meat in the boiling cauldron. Just went a few weeks back for my son, and step sons birthdays that are one day apart. 

We used to have a fancy restaurant here decades ago that did a seven course authentic Swiss fondue service.  Cheese, seafood, beef, and chocolate courses with in betweens to help with all the richness.  I went once with my dad for my birthday and it was something.  Of course thought I would not make it to my next one, driving home with him after he made good dents in wine service that accompanied each course.  

They are long gone now, but I do my own fondues with my now vintage, fire engine red, 70s Hamilton Beach fondue pot.  We make all the little sauces, Béarnaise, horseradish, chutneys, and herb butters for the beef, and we do those tiny potatoes to fry too.  It’s a fun time.  

Edited by PrairieDog

1 minute ago, PrairieDog said:

We used to have a fancy restaurant here decades ago that did a seven course authentic Swiss fondue service.  Cheese, seafood, beef, and chocolate courses with in betweens to help with all the richness.  I went once with my dad for my birthday and it was something.  Of course thought I would not make it to my next one, driving home with him after he made good dents in wine service that accompanied each course.  

They are long gone now, but I do my own fondues with my now vintage, fire engine red, 70s Hamilton Beach fondue pot.  We make all the little sauces, Béarnaise, horseradish, chutneys, and herb butters for the beef, and we do those tiny potatoes to fry too.  It’s a fun time.  

I need to break out my fondue set. Everyone gets one for a wedding present. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yes! You’re right! The fondue we had with gherkins and bread and what have you. I have also had raclette - I remember an Indian guy driving around Montreux with me searching for a raclette joint (the Swiss would not like that term 😉) so he could show me the authentic local cuisine - very tasty too!

I’ve been to Switzerland probably 6-8 times when I was working, including on holiday with wife - mainly in the French speaking part - and it would be among my very top places to live on this rock (though to be fair so is Oz) - no chance though, very tight on immigration. Beautiful country in my experience.🥰

Edited by 'Scales
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Yes! You’re right! The fondue we had with gherkins and bread and what have you. I have also had raclette - I remember an Indian guy driving around Montreux with me searching for a raclette joint (the Swiss would not like that term 😉) so he could show me the authentic local cuisine - very tasty too!

I’ve been to Switzerland probably 6-8 times when I was working, including on holiday with wife - mainly in the French speaking part - and it would be among my very top places to live on this rock (though to be fair so is Oz) - no chance though, very tight on immigration. Beautiful country in my experience.🥰

I had raclette in Zurich. I think I was just outside Zurich where I had fondue. We were staying in Murren. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper