Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 Dot - Output Jack Needs Replacing

silver_mica

My 1997 ES-335 Dot has an intermittent connection at the output jack.    Without removing anything I tried bending the metal tab that contacts the tip of the 1/4 plug.  That helped  a little - but the loud buzz is still there if my guitar chord moves too much.   I'm concluding that the entire jack needs replacing.   I'm not too far from Gryphon Stringed Instruments so I can bring this guitar to them for repair - but, before doing so I'm looking into doing this repair myself.   I have a couple of questions at this point.

Question 1:  Which output jack do I buy?

Question 2:  Can the output jack be replaced without removing other control items - such as the potentiometers? 

Gibson_ES-335_Dot_-_IMG_1802.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Just had a look at the hardware page. Couldn't see one. https://www.gibson.com/en-GB/Collection/hardware . I always thought Switchcraft parts were used, but I'm not absolutely sure. StewMac is where I would look for parts anyway.

I think you should be able to just solder a replacement on without worrying about other components. 

Edited by merciful-evans
oversight

Get someone who knows how to do it. I was glad my BB King had a control cover. Yes I know the back with no control cover looks sharp and cool, UNTIL this moment when you have to fight an F-hole to replace some of the electronics. 

• 1 month later...