Gibson Brands Forums

“Short-Bed Silverado”

Posted (edited)

Some songs take awhile to “find” themselves. In this case, a couple of decades.

”Short-Bed Silverado” started out ages ago as a retelling of Genesis 38, the story of Tamar and Judah. (The story also appears in Quran the Talmud.) Let’s just say it is one of the odder tales of sex in those books. I originally placed the action in Guymon, OK. It had somewhat different lyrics and an entirely different melody. I pulled the song out a couple of months ago and re-did it and wrote a chorus, changing the title to “The Debts We Owe.”

It still seemed like the song wasn’t “itself,” though. I changed the action to Texas and did some more rewriting. I added the element of a Chevy Silverado, and that became the title. I wanted to name it a color and “Silverado” but I looked up the colors available for Silverados and they’re all long and weird. (“Radiant Red Tintcoat”?? Northsky Blue Metallic??) But then I saw a lot of them came with crew cabs and my protagonist needed a smaller truck, so it became “Short-Bed Silverado.”

A different progression came to me. The song grew to 11 verses, which is a lot to ask a listener unless your audience is made up of people ready for an evening of sea shanties. I edited it down to six; it still didn’t feel “right” and so I re-instated a verse and now it is seven verses. It is 174 words long, which isn’t a lot, really.

Edited by dhanners623

Posted (edited)

Since posting, I streamlined some clunky wording in one of the verses and added a verse regarding the constabulary’s interest in Jude’s untimely demise. But here’s my question I go back and forth on: Is that verse needed? Does it add anything to the story? Is the story OK without it? Unless it adds pertinent info, I’m not sure it should be in there. Thoughts?

And while we’re at it, of the version below, is verse 7 necessary? Does it add anything? Tie up any loose ends?

May do a new video later.

For the eagle-eyed (or eared) you’ll note each verse has an internal rhyme or near-rhyme in the third line, except for the first and last verses. That is by design.

The lyrics:

Short-Bed Silverado

© 2024 by David Hanners

On the High Plains of Texas

There’s long and empty roads

Your only friend is some preacher

In the static on the radio

Tammy tended bar at the Lost Coyote

And that is where she met Jude

A cowboy Romeo down from Amarillo

On the Wrangler ProRodeo Tour

Tammy was a spark

Jude was high-test gasoline

It was no surprise when word come down he had died

In a bar ditch along FM 2019

Sheriff hauled Tammy in for questions

Could not break her alibi

A Cheshire grin is not evidence

With no witness to testify

Tammy stole away to Amarillo

Some say she had a plan

First place she hit was Jude’s dad’s car dealership

That night seduced the old man

He doctored a title on a short-bed Silverado

No rust, mileage was low

Not the best trade he ever made

But it got Tammy where she had to go

Tammy lit out from Odessa

The old man ponders what he did

Knows he overpaid, still sells his cars by day

At night he wrestles his sins

And Tammy’s flying down

Some long and empty road

Only friend is some preacher

Coming through the static down in Mexico

Edited by dhanners623

You write good lyrics. It’s a good Song. I’d like to hear a produced version with a full band. Drums, Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Lead Vocal & a Harmony Vocal. The Instrumental Intro & middle Eight could be shortened & still have a good groove. I like this one a lot.

Here’s one my brother & I did called “Talk Of Things”. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

You write good lyrics. It’s a good Song. I’d like to hear a produced version with a full band. Drums, Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Lead Vocal & a Harmony Vocal. The Instrumental Intro & middle Eight could be shortened & still have a good groove. I like this one a lot.

Here’s one my brother & I did called “Talk Of Things”. 

Fine tune! It has that California country-rock jangle.

Re: a produced version of “Short-Bed Silverado.” I’m not sure what instruments I hear on it. Most of my stuff tends to be minimalist. A little of that goes a long way, but I don’t know that I have the patience or energy to have a “full” band — or even to assemble one for a recording project. And then rehearse. I do want to record an EP this summer (it’s been a full decade since I released a “full” band album) but the questions I keep running up against are:

— If I release something, do I do a physical CD, or just digital downloads or something else?

— If I release something, what kind of market will there be for it? (Answer: Next to none.)

— And speaking of market, I know virtually nothing about marketing in the digital age and at 69 this old dog is kind of tired of new tricks. Looking at guys like Oliver Anthony (a truly terrible songwriter), Zach Bryan (a promising writer but desperately needs an editor) and Jesse Welles (his songs will have a very short shelf life) it seems all I have to do to get some attention is find some woods, set up a camera and hit “Record” and then stick it on YouTube and TikTok. Then a record exec offers me the Standard Rich and Famous Contract, and you guys will be able to say, “I knew him when….” So in other words, it won’t happen.

— What can I realistically expect to accomplish with a bona fide CD? Radio airplay? No. Airplay on some internet station? Maybe. A souvenir for people at gigs? Probably not. Mail-order sales? I doubt it. Breaking even on the expense? Fat chance.

The math has just never added up for me and it won’t start now. It does add up for some folks, and that’s great. But my stuff has limited appeal. Hell, sometimes even I don’t like it….

Edited by dhanners623

If there is a market a market anymore, it appears that most people download or Stream Singles on their individual custom designed Playlist. It’s like they’ve gone back to the 50’s & 60’s & listen to Singles, not Albums. It’s like why invest so much work & time doing an Album when more than likely people will listen to one song & maybe spend 99 cents on a download. But, most don’t do that when they can stream it on Spotify or other Streaming Services for a monthly fee. It’s much easier, less expensive & less time consuming to produce Singles when we have something we think is good & other people think so too. 

Today making music for most of us is the joy & love of making music. There’s no money in it for most of us.

”Talk Of Things” is a song my brother wrote & I produced. We played this live for quite a few years & people liked it. Just 2 Acoustics & us singing.

We recorded it recently in my Home Studio. He played Acoustic & sang. I sing Harmony. I added Electric Guitar & Slide. I also added Bass & Drums. We did put it on our 4th Album which took 3 years to record. Partly due to Covid. 

I don’t see us doing full Albums anymore. Singles or maybe like an A/B record. 2 Songs. One of his & one of mine.

I think you got a real good song & real good lyrics. Good tempo & progression. I think people will like it.

Maybe I’m partial because I’ve got a Short Bed Silverado! LOL.

Good luck

16 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

Thanks for the kind words. I’ve settled on (famous last words…) the second version but without the verse about the sheriff.

I'd like to do an arrangement.... kind of busy right now, (still finishing up the windows....and I want to do Carl Perkin's version of "Blue Suded Shoes on my songs 3/4 size "Tender" Stratocaster), so I want to latest (Best) words!

5 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I'd like to do an arrangement.... kind of busy right now, (still finishing up the windows....and I want to do Carl Perkin's version of "Blue Suded Shoes on my songs 3/4 size "Tender" Stratocaster), so I want to latest (Best) words!

Have at it! Would love to hear what you do.

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

Don't expect much.... but it's a good song....

Thanks for the kind words and I’m sure you’ll come up with something good.

Have been thinking about the song and concluded it needed something like a chorus. So I took the first verse and turned it into a chorus. It’s the same melody as the rest of the song, but I sing it a bit differently. So as of this moment, the song looks like this:

Short-Bed Silverado

© 2024 by David Hanners

(Chorus)

On the High Plains of Texas

There’s long and empty roads

Your only friend is some preacher

In the static on the radio

Tammy tended bar at the Lost Coyote

That is where she met Jude

A cowboy Romeo down from Amarillo

On the Wrangler ProRodeo Tour

Tammy was a spark

Jude was high-test gasoline

It was no surprise when word come down he had died

In a bar ditch along FM 2019

(chorus)

Tammy stole away to Amarillo

Some say she had a plan

First place she hit was Jude’s dad’s car dealership

That night seduced the old man

He doctored a title on a short-bed Silverado

No rust, mileage was low

Not the best trade he ever made

But it got Tammy where she had to go

(chorus)

Tammy lit out from Odessa

Rumor is she had twins

The old man overpaid, still sells his cars by day

At night he wrestles his sins

His house burned down one night

Never determined the cause

Insurance man said as he cut the check

“Some things are just acts of God”

(Ending chorus)

Tammy’s flying down

Some long and empty road

Only friend is some preacher

Coming through the static down in Mexico

• Like 1

I’m not really hearing a Chorus. But, with these lyrics & Chord progression I am hearing an early Dylan period version in my head. Acoustic with Harp. I think that would be cool.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 6:08 AM, Larsongs said:

I’m not really hearing a Chorus. But, with these lyrics & Chord progression I am hearing an early Dylan period version in my head. Acoustic with Harp. I think that would be cool.

I think I agree with you. After letting it sit for a couple of days, I’m not really hearing a chorus, either. I’m lousy at choruses. I’ve got plenty of songs with them, but if I can get away without one, that’s the route I’ll go, particularly if the song is a long narrative.

I’d never make it in Nashville….

Just finished a new one (may post a video in a couple of days) and it lacks a chorus, too. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

I think I agree with you. After letting it sit for a couple of days, I’m not really hearing a chorus, either. I’m lousy at choruses. I’ve got plenty of songs with them, but if I can get away without one, that’s the route I’ll go, particularly if the song is a long narrative.

I’d never make it in Nashville….

Just finished a new one (may post a video in a couple of days) and it lacks a chorus, too. 

Not every song needs a Chorus. I think Nashville liked his music. I’m a fan of his early “Bringing It All Back Home” period type music. For some reason I can hear your song in this tempo & type of style.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

So speaking of building a following, getting support, etc., this happened….

I saw where the new Gibson Garage in London was having regular “acoustic sessions” so I dropped them an email to see who I might speak to about getting booked for one. No reply. Emailed again a couple of weeks later. No reply.

The Gibson social media ads for the sessions kind of amused me; they showed who was booked for the next session and none of them was playing a Gibson. Martin, yeah. Taylor, yeah. No Gibson, though.

So today I telephoned and the guy who answered the phone at the Garage was helpful said he’d pass along my contact info. He did, and Gibson’s UK “Entertainment Relations Manager” emailed me back and said they were only putting on Garage acoustic sessions “with artists that we are currently working with.”

Then, as if to underscore my amateur status, he added, “If we do open it up to open mic nights or bookable events, we will advertise on our social media accounts.”

I replied and said thanks, but I’m not asking about open mics. And if you only feature “artists you are currently working with,” how do I become one of those? How do we make that happen? Since I actually play a Gibson and not a Martin or a Taylor? (Ok, I didn’t add that last part about Martin or Taylor….)

So he writes back and says their artist roster is full. “(B)ut to give you an idea…. We are looking for artists who are out there touring, management backed with good streaming numbers, solid social followings across all platforms with regular releases as a starting point. We are always on the lookout for talent though and appreciate you reaching out.”

I think that last part was another way of saying the classic blow-off line, “We like your enthusiasm.”

I know I’m new on these shores, but I follow some of the British country and Americana goings-on on social media and I’m not sure any of the folks I’ve seen advertised are “big” names. I could be wrong. And I guess if I were Gibson, why go out on a limb and support an indie guy like me?

There is a video making the rounds (on social media…) of some U.S. country artist taking a call from a record company exec who tells him their management team absolutely LOVED his demos and think he’s a GREAT writer, but they’re not signing any acts unless they have X number of followers on social media. (I can’t recall the number, but a quick look online said major labels look for 20K to 100K followers before they will contemplate signing an act.)

Hell, now I don’t even feel like playing my J-35….

Edited by dhanners623

44 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

So speaking of building a following, getting support, etc., this happened….

I saw where the new Gibson Garage in London was having regular “acoustic sessions” so I dropped them an email to see who I might speak to about getting booked for one. No reply. Emailed again a couple of weeks later. No reply.

The Gibson social media ads for the sessions kind of amused me; they showed who was booked for the next session and none of them was playing a Gibson. Martin, yeah. Taylor, yeah. No Gibson, though.

So today I telephoned and the guy who answered the phone at the Garage was helpful said he’d pass along my contact info. He did, and Gibson’s UK “Entertainment Relations Manager” emailed me back and said they were only putting on Garage acoustic sessions “with artists that we are currently working with.”

Then, as if to underscore my amateur status, he added, “If we do open it up to open mic nights or bookable events, we will advertise on our social media accounts.”

I replied and said thanks, but I’m not asking about open mics. And if you only feature “artists you are currently working with,” how do I become one of those? How do we make that happen? Since I actually play a Gibson and not a Martin or a Taylor? (Ok, I didn’t add that last part about Martin or Taylor….)

So he writes back and says their artist roster is full. “(B)ut to give you an idea…. We are looking for artists who are out there touring, management backed with good streaming numbers, solid social followings across all platforms with regular releases as a starting point. We are always on the lookout for talent though and appreciate you reaching out.”

I think that last part was another way of saying the class blow-off line, “We like your enthusiasm.”

I know I’m new on these shores, but I follow some of the country and Americana goings-on on social media and I’m not sure any of the folks I’ve seen advertised are “big” names. I could be wrong. And I guess if I were Gibson, why go out on a limb and support somebody like me?

There is a video making the rounds (on social media…) of some U.S. country artist taking a call from a record company exec who tells him their management team absolutely LOVED his demos and think he’s a GREAT writer, but they’re not signing any acts unless they have X number of followers on social media (I can’t recall the number, but a quick look online said major labels look for 20K to 100K followers before they will sign an act.)

Hell, now I don’t even feel like playing my J-35….

Don’t let the turkeys get to you.  You know you are good.  Having worked in marketing, and hired acts for just this reason, I can say the point of those in-house programs is never really about showcasing the music, or promoting artists.  The acts are simply excuses/shills to get bodies in the store to sell guitars.  Like the girls in the peepshow windows outside strip clubs. Or the 10 foot tall air dancer outside a car dealership.  They are a just a come-on, and interchangeable.   So yeah, without an established following to ensure bodies will show up, a great musician just won’t be of any interest because it’s ultimately not really about the music.  But there is nothing keeping you from playing real venues for real audiences who are there because they are interested in the songs, and who are not being distracted by the candy hanging on the wall.  You are better, and yours songs worth more, than the marketing equivalent of a two for one coupon to Olive Garden.  

17 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Don’t let the turkeys get to you.  You know you are good.  Having worked in marketing, and hired acts for just this reason, I can say the point of those in-house programs is never really about showcasing the music, or promoting artists.  The acts are simply excuses/shills to get bodies in the store to sell guitars.  Like the girls in the peepshow windows outside strip clubs. Or the 10 foot tall air dancer outside a car dealership.  They are a just a come-on, and interchangeable.   So yeah, without an established following to ensure bodies will show up, a great musician just won’t be of any interest because it’s ultimately not really about the music.  But there is nothing keeping you from playing real venues for real audiences who are there because they are interested in the songs, and who are not being distracted by the candy hanging on the wall.  You are better, and yours songs worth more, than the marketing equivalent of a two for one coupon to Olive Garden.  

Thanks. I appreciate that. Really do.

I can see a record company requiring a huge social media following for an act they’re considering signing. Given there apparently are no A&R departments anymore, they’d rather the artist do ALL the heavy lifting when it comes to that sort of thing. But a Gibson store? Oh well. It’s their store so they can do what they want.

I like the air dancer visual….

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

After a LOT of chores, obligations, etc....I've finally started working on this song.

David, It's truly a great song....and I hope I can do it justice.

I have no doubt you will and I’m honored and humbled you would give it a shot. Can’t wait to hear it!

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 1:01 PM, dhanners623 said:

Thanks. I appreciate that. Really do.

I can see a record company requiring a huge social media following for an act they’re considering signing. Given there apparently are no A&R departments anymore, they’d rather the artist do ALL the heavy lifting when it comes to that sort of thing. But a Gibson store? Oh well. It’s their store so they can do what they want.

I like the air dancer visual….

Record Companies won’t touch you today unless you have a huge fan base, are touring, big on Social Media & are Selling lots of Albums & Downloads. They’ll find the sure things & sign them. 

I’ll tell the forum what I told DanvillRob in a PM:

LOVE IT! You have to post it. Everything came together. I’m honored.

My wife overheard it and asked who it was. She said, “It sounds really good.” (She’s heard enough of my bad music to know….) She also said your voice has just the right “rough” quality for the song, and that’s quite a compliment. “He did a really good job with it.”

The repeated chorus works well and was a great choice. Thanks so much for the thought, energy and talent you put into doing the song. I’m humbled and honored.

I agree with my wife on the voice. You bring just the right “feel” to the song.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1