Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Affected By The Storm?

22 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Your right. My favorite area I lived in the Bay Area was Pleasanton. 

Plesanton isn't as nice as it once was...but still okay.

San Ramon is nicer..... Alamo is getting too many whiskers.... and Walnut Creek has gone to heck.

Danville will probably go the way of San Ramon.....and I hope I'm gone by then.

We live out with the chickens and the goats, so our house has some privacy, (dead in private road....NO traffic).

Posted (edited)

Fremont and Milpitas were dumps. SJ was nice in the 70’s and early 80’s then tech and greed ruined it. Santa Rosa was nice, but that might be a bit too far to still call it the Bay Area. 

As much as I miss Cali, I’m glad I don’t live there anymore. I thought I would never say that, but stuff changes. That state got ruined by way to many reasons. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

Fremont and Milpitas were dumps. SJ was nice in the 70’s and early 80’s then tech and greed ruined it. Santa Rosa was nice, but that might be a bit too far to still call it the Bay Area. 

Our son moved from Willow Glen to Almadin Valley....mainly for the schools....but Willow Glen (San Jose) isn't what it used to be either.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Our son moved from Willow Glen to Almadin Valley....mainly for the schools....but Willow Glen (San Jose) isn't what it used to be either.

You mean the Almaden Valley?

What a great place to grow up. What band didn’t play in The City? 50 min drive and I was there.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

You mean the Almaden Valley?

All the cities and towns are suffering.....The law mandates low income housing in every city/town..... contributes to traffic, parking, and crime issues.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

All the cities and towns are suffering.....The law mandates low income housing in every city/town..... contributes to traffic, parking, and crime issues.

Yep, you guys who still live there can keep it and your taxes. My house and both cars are paid off, but I have to live in SC to do that. This area blows for other reasons. Idiots and their political views who wear it on hats, shirt, and attach flags and stickers to their cars, drunks in golf carts, tourists all summer long, humidity and heat, hurricanes. But a free house was hard to turn down. There are about 3 weeks in Spring and Fall that are actually nice here. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yep, you guys who still live there can keep it and your taxes. My house and both cars are paid off, but I have to live in SC to do that. This area blows for other reasons. Idiots and their political views who wear it on hats, shirt, and attach flags and stickers to their cars, drunks in golf carts, tourists all summer long, humidity and heat, hurricanes. But a free house was hard to turn down. There are about 3 weeks in Spring and Fall that are actually nice here. 

October is the nicest month of the year around here..... I really like Fall.... Spring is pretty cool too.

I think every place has it's "sucky" aspects.....  our property taxes are stupid..... about $11K per year....but if it wasn't for Proposition 13, my taxes would be around $43K per year!

But there have been so many "disasters" in California, my property insurance has gone up to $10K.... but I don't complain because many people are just canceled...... so I shut up and pay!

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

October is the nicest month of the year around here..... I really like Fall.... Spring is pretty cool too.

I think every place has it's "sucky" aspects.....  our property taxes are stupid..... about $11K per year....but if it wasn't for Proposition 13, my taxes would be around $43K per year!

But there have been so many "disasters" in California, my property insurance has gone up to $10K.... but I don't complain because many people are just canceled...... so I shut up and pay!

I think our taxes are about 3k. No dumb Smog tests (they still do that), no car state inspections like when I lived in Virginia. Once we get all the stuff done to become SC residents taxes will be cut almost in half. We just fully moved down here two months back after we sold the house in VA. I pay about $450 a month for my combined auto and homeowners insurance. Thank you USAA. Now I’m even more glad I’m out of Cali. 

Yeah the weather was always still nice when I was a kid trick or treating. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

26 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think our taxes are about 3k. No dumb Smog tests (they still do that), no car state inspections like when I lived in Virginia. Once we get all the stuff done to become SC residents taxes will be cut almost in half. We just fully moved down here two months back after we sold the house in VA. I pay about $450 a month for my combined auto and homeowners insurance. Thank you USAA. Now I’m even more glad I’m out of Cali. 

Yeah the weather was always still nice when I was a kid trick or treating. 

I still love it here....and would never consider moving out....unless our grandkids moved away.    Since our son just bought a $3M home, we suspect he's not moving, so the grandkids are not too far away.

5 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I still love it here....and would never consider moving out....unless our grandkids moved away.    Since our son just bought a $3M home, we suspect he's not moving, so the grandkids are not too far away.

So he must make about 6mil at his job. I’m assuming?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

No, silly.  It used to be you could borrow twice your income.  Now you can borrow more, like maybe three times your income?

Isn’t debt a wonderful thing? Glad those days are gone. Oh, lost your job and you can’t make your $4000 a month mortgage payment. Well your house will be the banks in a bit, they can wait it out.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

He does well....but certainly NOT $6M......

He sold his house in Willow Glen and made a cool $1M profit.... so they put that down plus a little more....

His house payments are insane....and his property taxes are based on the purchase price of the house, but can only go up a maximum of 2% a year under Prop. 13.

He has the same issue with insurance....but since he has a mortgage, he HAS to have insurance....we don't HAVE to have it.

Also, his wife was a 6-figure Apple person....she quit her job to take care of the kids and house, so he has to do everything on one salary.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

He does well....but certainly NOT $6M......

He sold his house in Willow Glen and made a cool $1M profit.... so they put that down plus a little more....

His house payments are insane....and his property taxes are based on the purchase price of the house, but can only go up a maximum of 2% a year under Prop. 13.

He has the same issue with insurance....but since he has a mortgage, he HAS to have insurance....we don't HAVE to have it.

Also, his wife was a 6-figure Apple person....she quit her job to take care of the kids and house, so he has to do everything on one salary.

Sounds fun, better him than me. That pesky insurance, funny how lending institutions want to protect their investments. Cause the house is not technically yours till the last payment is made.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Sounds fun, better him than me. That pesky insurance, funny how wending institutions want to protect their investments. Cause the house is not technologically yours till the last payment is made.

Of course!   Not sure you house is really yours even after it's paid off.....miss some property tax payments and the county will kick you out.

I've been to all 50 US states, and I like Southeast Florida the best.

I hate cold weather, and I live where it rarely gets under 40(F) in the winter. And when it does, it'll usually warm back up to the 70s the next day.

There are a lot of natural disasters, and I live in a hurricane zone. But growing up here, I learned you can build your house to withstand wind, but not water. I live 32 feet above seal level. It's an ancient sand dune, and I call it the Florida Alps.

300' east and downhill is a 2 mile wide lagoon. Also, downhill but farther to the west is a protected wetland. So I'm protected from major flooding. Most of the homes built since the mid 1960s were built on reclaimed swamp lands, and when a hurricane comes, they want to revert to swamps. Northern transplants got and still get suckered into buying them by unscrupulous land developers.

I feel for the folks in Debby's wake, as their area wasn't designed to take that much water for that long. 

As far as natural disasters are concerned, it's hard to live in a place without a potential. Considering tsunamis, volcanoes, big midwestern tornadoes, earthquakes, huge western US/Canadian wildfires, and hurricanes, I'll take the 'canes. We know they are coming, if we had the sense not to buy a house on high ground and not made of 2x4s with an asphalt shingle roof, there is a 99% chance any damage you get will be cosmetic.

I've been through more than a few 'canes, one with 220mph gusts, and so far-so good. 

It does get hot here, and it's definitely hotter than it was when I was a child. I remember when a summer day in the upper 80s got front-page news  (It's A Scorcher) and a 90 degree day was extremely rare, and did not happen every year. Now 90 degree days are common. Some try to deny global warming, but they can't change the fact that it's hotter here than it was years ago. I'm no scientist, so I can't say why, but I know what I've lived through in my lifetime.

I'll continue to hope the hurricanes fizzle out going north in the Atlantic before they reach our shores, but I know how to maximize my chances of weathering one unscathed (nothing is 100%).

Good luck to all who have been flooded by Debby, I hope the insurance companies don't try to screw you.

Notes ♫

PS, early gig today, so if there are typos in the post, please forgive me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The storm has passed. Last nite Debby gave us the middle finger one last time and dumped rain for about 45 mins at about 10pm. Drove around yesterday. Not much damage around here. Saw a tree or two down. We lost power yesterday for about 30 seconds. The re-closer on the power line must have done its job. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper