Gibson Brands Forums

Grover Imperials on SJ200 Photo Update!

Buc McMaster

I bought a set of Imperials about a month ago and have been debating with myself whether to have them installed or not. The butterbean Waverly machines are very nice, but somehow the tiny little buttons looked strange on the big headstock.... personal thing, I'm sure. The Imperials require a larger bushing hole so going back to the Waverlys would not be a simple swap out. The Imperials also weigh about 4oz more, adding headstock weight and changing the felt balance of the guitar. So, as I said, I have been discussing the pros and cons in my head for a few weeks...... Took the plunge.

Imperials3.jpgImperials2.jpg

Just picked up the guitar from the shop this afternoon so I'm withholding judgement for now. First impressions..... I like the larger, round collar on the bushing, looks better with the large headstock, as do the much larger buttons. So far, so good. Blistered four fingers this morning wrapping rope for a swing for the wife so playing with any gusto will have to wait a few days.

SJ200chair.jpg

I love butterbeans so much, both aesthetically and for their functional feel on the fingers, that it is difficult for me to appreciate the new Imperials, but I am always happy when anyone takes a step to personalize a guitar as you have done here.

Enjoy.

I'll echo TWilson here and say that the Western Classic is one very fine looking guitar. Personally, on an aesthetic level I prefer it to the standard SJ200s.

One question on the pickguard: is it black, or a dark tortoise? I can't tell. Also, if you would be so kind, could you post just a close up of it (i.e. the guard)?

My J-100 came with no guard attached, but with the standard guard in the case. I don't care much for it, and so am always keeping my eyes open for other options. The Western Classic one is a possibility, provided I could get one (and in tortoise-color, not black for my particular guitar.

One question on the pickguard: is it black' date=' or a dark tortoise? I can't tell. Also, if you would be so kind, could you post just a close up of it (i.e. the guard)?[/quote']

The pickguard is tortoise.......dark and reddish in color. It's also bound white-black-white all the way around.....quite unusual for pickguards these days though it was not uncommon in the 30s and 40s.

pg1.jpgpg2.jpg

The pickguard is tortoise.......dark and reddish in color. It's also bound white-black-white all the way around.....quite unusual for pickguards these days though it was not uncommon in the 30s and 40s.

Oh, that's nice!

Out of curiousity, should anyone know, can you just order a Gibson pickguard from a Gibson dealer? From Gibson itself?

That one's a beauty!

Oh' date=' that's nice!

Out of curiousity, should anyone know, can you just order a Gibson pickguard from a Gibson dealer? From Gibson itself?

That one's a beauty![/quote']

Jayla Yes, you can order one from a authorized Gibson dealer. No,you can't order one from Gibson directly.

Also, you may have to have one ( Pre-War Western Classic ) in order to purchase one from a dealer. They will need a serial number to verified you own one. I'm not 100% sure on that, but thats has been the usually way. :P

Also' date=' you may have to have one ( Pre-War Western Classic ) in order to purchase one from a dealer. They will need a serial number to verified you own one. I'm not 100% sure on that, but thats has been the usually way. =; [/quote']

Well, I might be willing to spend around $100 to get the pickguard in question, but I wouldn't be willing to spend $5k+ for it!

I'll ask and see what I hear back.

I could live w/out (and have, for 4 years), but it sure is purdy!

If I'm not mistaken, the photos I've seen of Ray Whitley's original (supposedly the first/prototype SJ-200) showed it to have Imperials. I think the guitar looks much better, and more period correct with the replacement tuners. I like the Imperial look on some, though not all models. The Imperials look like they absolutely belong on the Western Classic. Icing on the cake, big improvement, looks perfect--awesome, awesome guitar. Lucky guy!!

Archived