Gibson Brands Forums

Standard vs custom

callen3615

When someone says Les Paul' date=' I get a hard on.

Wait, that didn't come out right...[/quote']

Nothin wrong with that. I just kinda have to decide. Im gonna buy a les paul in a month and its between these. I need to save money so this will be that last one for awhile. Ive only played a year and ive already owned 8 guitars. ](*,)

Nice guitars there Callen.

I've been thinking about getting an Epi LP Ultra 2, with the acoustic pickup and built in preamp. The only drawback is the price. They are kind of rare in the shops around here, and you can't haggle on the prices.

On-topic:

It depends on the individual guitar.

Les Paul Standards often sound a more woodier and rounder (with more 'room' between the notes), while Les Paul Customs sound more articulate and tighter (with more attack to the notes). The Custom is more of a hardrock/metal guitar, while the Standard is more of a blues/rock guitar.

I prefer the ebony fretboard on a LPC.

If it was a Silverburst or Ebony Custom then that would sell it for me. But personally a White Custom would lose against a Sunburst Standard.

I'd go for a Lighburst myself.

Did you know that the White LP Custom is built in the Memphis Factory? Along with the EDS-1275 is the only 'Solid Body' built there.

I'm gonna say a Sunburst standard for me personally. Just because my aesthetic preferences run against opaque finishes on anything but certain Fenders. The custom has a lot going for it though.

I wouldn't recommend one over the other--just play the hell out of several examples of each and go with the one you like best.

Archived