Gibson Brands Forums

In the Zone!!!

larryp58

Got through with practice last night, with the bluegrass band, and have you ever played with other folks when everyone was firing on all cylinders? Man! We were burning it down last night! How do you guys describe the feeling? I mean, this is what guitar playing is all about! I love it!!!

When it gets going like that, the lil' observer shuts down for a while and you are just experiencing the music as it comes. I find when that happens, the anticipation for the next note, run or lick seems to kick in about a nano before the fingers go to it, right on the edge*.

(*practice being the building blocks that makes those anticipations possible)

Got to be like what sports guys go through sometimes. I remember on those nights when Michael Jordan used to score an unbelievable number of buckets... He has decribed the hoop as looking huge sometimes when he was just killing the other team by himself....

I personally find when playing, even by myself, some nights the songs just play themselves and it's like I am above watching myself play and loving the ease it comes with, other nights.......not so much! :P

Got to be like what sports guys go through sometimes.

Exactly like. Acute awareness of the moment while hyper-processing experience' date=' riding a cutting edge feeling for

the right thing. No mental clutter. Whew. Read Lehrer. [i']How we Decide[/i] for neuroscience take on it (he also has something to say about GAS). J

For me it feels like riding a wave, (haven´t actually been riding a wave, but I imagine) you go with the flow and music almost plays itself, it´s a moment of magic. If there´s an audience and you see them feel it too, then the rush is total... It´s moments like this that makes all rehearsing worthwhile.

Then the next day you have this feel fresh in your mind and you expect it to come again, but you just don´t get there. The guitar doesn´t really sounds right, a little out of key although it´s perfectly tuned.

Off key, Off beat and you just wonder why...

the next day you ... expect it to come again' date=' but you just don´t get there.[/quote']

Slipping back into conscious mind & self-awareness. In that state, its easy to be prey to distractions (the guitar

may not actually sound so bad but the mind in a distracted state will pick up the littlest things*). Maintaining

a contemplative practice can help the mind focus and be more available to being in the moment.

*(the worst time to think a new axe will do the trick!)

Archived