Gibson Brands Forums

Plain Top Fans?

RJLII

When I bought my LP in 1975' date=' there were no flame tops available, and hadn't been for the 15 years prior, so I had no choice. If I would have had a choice, I certainally would have preferred a nice bookmatched flame top.

But hey, I brought her to the dance, so dance we shall. I never been disappointed in this guitar in any way, and not a reason in the world to replace it OR buy another, especially at today's prices.

[img']http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2312/2327165660_9e4b20a9f5_o.jpg[/img]

Ditto.

I remember the same thing and a few interesting stories.

One dates back to the mid ‘70s. I was at a guitar store and a ’58 Gold Top showed up and I think the price was about $7000.00. I remember looking at and playing this guitar and thinking, “who would pay $7000.00 for this, because a new Custom or Standard were $800.00 to $1000.00."

The second story is also from the ’70s when I saw a ’59 Flame Top. I remember thinking, “yuck, what is wrong with the top on this guitar?” It looked so weird that I did not even want to touch it and it was $9000.00 – I remember laughing at the price after I put my eyeballs back into my head and picked my jaw off the ground! It is important to note that new Gibsons were about $800.00 at the time.

The last story I will share is of another Flame Top from the ‘70s. It was after the following two stories happened when I came across a ’58, ’59, or ’60 Flame Top, but the neck was broken right where the neck meets the head. I remember the neck was almost broken in half and it has a screw in it to hold it together and it was obviously unplayable. The price was only a couple hundred dollars.

Now the sad part, did I buy any of these wonderful guitars? NO! But man I wish I had!!!!

Anyone else prefer a plain top sunburst? There's just something about a plain topped LP that I find attractive. Don't get me wrong' date=' flame looks cool, but sometimes it's a bit much.[/quote']

Read my sig.

For the stupid: R8's have plain tops. ;)

Wow, some of you guys have such wonderful photography skills! Especially Tim ... seriously man, I'm about to ask you to open up a guitar photography studio so you can offer courses on how to do it ourselves. I'm going to have to work on my skills, because I don't think this picture does my guitar justice ... though, in the spirit of contributing to the thread, here she is once again!

Plain Tops Unite!

IMG_0544.jpg

Wow' date=' some of you guys have such wonderful photography skills! Especially Tim ... seriously man, I'm about to ask you to open up a guitar photography studio so you can offer courses on how to do it ourselves.[/quote']

I have a 6.0 mega pixel Canon Elf, it's your everyday digital camera. I set the picture quality to "superfine" and set the picture size to something huge like 1,600 x 1,200, or 2,272 x 1,704. Then I set my camera on continuous mode and snap a whole lot of pictures, even hundreds sometimes, and move around (in this case) the guitar while snapping pictures. There's your lesson. That'll be $25...pay up.

I may be buying a Canon SLR sooner or later. Then you'll really see some nice shots!

I like the plain too. I have a bit of the best of both worlds in my classic. It flames out at certain angle, if you turn it in the light, I have pitcures where it looks like a flame top and some where it is pretty plain looking. I like that better than a flame top.

Archived