Gibson Brands Forums

Synthesizers

KSG_Standard

Geddy Lee would say otherwise and Alex Lifeson (Grace under Presure) would also have a hard time taking that.

Tom Scholz

Steve Winwood

And those guys who brought you "A Flock of Seagulls"

I'm not a big fan of 'em, but you could have gone with a better list.

Remember when synthesizers were going to supposedly replace guitars? Well I guess you get my point....

There is probably no worse sound on a synth than the guitar sounds. Mine rarely sounds like anything other than a piano. Yeah, I'll use settings that give me different "colors" to that sound, but it's still essentially piano. Most of the sounds are not good imitations of the actual instrument. I will make exceptions for pretty much any keyboard-type instrument sound (piano, organ, harpsichord usually sound ok). I also think strings like violin or cello tend to reproduce well. Other than that, unless I'm looking for a unique sound effect, I don't even change my settings.

I think Pink Floyd and a few others were able to successfully incorporate synth into their songs, but just like with any formula, it will eventually get old and/or boring.

I dunno, I had a Mini Moog C3 in the 70's that was pretty sweet and versatile.

If you've never heard it, try to find a copy of Switched on Bach. It was a decent introduction to what a synth could do.

Being a guitar guy I can understand why one wouldn't like them, but to hate them is pretty strong. I think they had their place. But that place was not to replace the guitar. It's just another instrument. No different that horns or percussion, or woodwinds, or even pedals for that matter.

minimoog.jpg

KeithEmerson.jpg

I think they had their place. But that place was not to replace the guitar. It's just another instrument. No different that horns or percussion' date=' or woodwinds, or even pedals for that matter.

[/quote']

The biggest advantage to a synth is even poor cover bands can get a bit of the sound that professionals have. :-k My keys have a setting somewhere (I rarely use it) that is perfect for the lift-off in "Space Oddity." Also have sounds that are literally called "No Quarter" and "Whiter Shade." Those are useful.

I guess I think of those things as accessories--like a nice pair of earrings or the gravy on my mashed potatoes.

Archived