Gibson Brands Forums

saddle buzz?

davenumber2

Hi all,

I have a 2008 J-45MC. I noticed it has a slight buzz coming from the saddle/bridge pin area it seems. The saddle is TUSQ. It doesn't happen all the time, just kinda comes and goes. It doesn't impede my playing or anything and it's not very loud like fret buzz, just kind of annoying. Had the guitar setup by a qualified luthier about a month ago. Just noticed it a couple weeks ago. I've changed the strings since then and it's still there. Everything plays fine but I'd like to remedy the buzz. I'd rather not have to take it back to him to fix. Any suggestions???

During the set-up, did your luthier take the saddle out or snad it down to change the action? If he sanded the saddle unevenly across the bottom, where it will "rock" in the slot, that will give you a buzz (on the guitar). I would ask him to tell you exactly what he did.

During the set-up, did your luthier take the saddle out or sand it down to change the action? If he sanded the saddle unevenly across the bottom, where it will "rock" in the slot, that will give you a buzz (on the guitar). I would ask him to tell you exactly what he did.

There are just so many things that could cause a buzz! I was going to suggest a loose string ball but you said you changed the strings, so that's much less likely. An MC should have an undersaddle pickup, right? Maybe look for how the wire is routed, it could be vibrating against something. Sometimes you have to look for dumb stuff; you could be hearing vibration from a loose nut on the output jack or the washer under the truss rod nut or 'fill in the blank'. Sorry I can't offer any more than that, all I'm suggesting is when identifying a buzz, anything goes.

I had that happen once and it actually turned out to be a loose nut on the tuning pegs. Didn't sound like it was from there, but after tightening it up, no more buzz. Also make sure to check the ball ends of the strings inside the guitar with a mirror if you can.

I just had to replace my saddles and it was the only thing that worked. Saddles were about $15 + $35 to have them installed. Might have been able to replace them myself in hindsight.....however they come without the string notch. I only trust the pros for that.

I had a 1970 Martin D-28.....I was getting what I thought was saddle buzz too. I took it in to the repair shop, and they told me I had a loose top brace. Try tapping the top in various location (with a finger that does NOT have a fingernail protruding) if you hear the buzz....that may be the loose brace....not a difficult fix.....good luck

Well, I feel stupid. The input jack was very loose and I'm guessing that was the problem. I haven't heard a buzz since I screwed it back in. I rarely ever plug the guitar in so I didn't really notice it. Lesson learned. Always try the obvious first. Thanks to all who replied.

Archived