Gibson Brands Forums

Peter Green mod

saturn

Im buying one of those chinese 5 buck pickups tomorrow and doing it there first... Then I'll do it on the guitar and take pics...

Be careful, TG. I know for certain that some of those Chinese 'Humbuckers' are in reality a single-coil with a full size cover.........

:) They selll for about 2 bucks anyway hehehehe... I dont really car if it dies in the process...

That's fine then.

In which case why don't you buy TWO, just in case you need to weld them together.....:)

paula.jpg

Just to add to this Peter Green mod: This LP I used to own (and I was really stupid to sell it)

has a small toggle switch , you can see it in the picture, which did put the pups out of phase.

I have no clue how Gibson did this or if somebody did a mod ( I bought it used 25 years ago and sold it

a few years later).

A fun old book (1975) is Electronic Projects for Musicians by Craig Anderton.

Among other things he has a Guitar Rewiring project which includes a series/parallel switch option.

The one thing to remember is that you may encounter a slight apparent volume loss with a phase reverse option as basically two things out of phase at the same time will cancel some frequencies.

Also doing a series/parallel mod with single coil pickups can reduce hum slightly.

It really is interesting the things that you can get up to with simple rewiring or a change out of ceramic caps.

Most of the mods can be very subtle and may require using some compression or eq.

Hi DC3

That was one craking LP - which model was it?

Yes it was a25/50 anniversary. Heavy like a ton of bricks.

And I was thick as a brick when I sold it. Seen one today for $ 6000!

Well, I did f@%k myself good.

Just as a matter of pedantry I thought some of you would be interested in the following extract from Gil Hembree's 'Gibson Guitars - Ted McCarty's Golden Era 1948 - 1966' :

With reference to the guitar used to test out the prototype humbucking pickup pairing, which had been hand built by Seth Lover, on a regular Les Paul ;

......" Lover also reversed the two individual pickups so that they were out-of-phase with each other, again going the extra mile to avoid hum"

Lover built three such prototype pickups. The very first ended up in the collection of Seymour Duncan and the other two, still attached to the original 1955 gold-top on which they had been fitted for appraisal, turned up for sale in Kalamazoo in 1998 and was bought by.......Gil Hembree!

This is a lesson in Forum heirarchy! I posted the original topic back in March and got exactly 5 responses and the thread died the next day. Thundergod resurrects it, and now look at all the action ](*,)

Hey TG, if you do the mod, please post a sound clip for us to hear.

This is a lesson in Forum heirarchy! I posted the original topic back in March and got exactly 5 responses and the thread died the next day. Thundergod resurrects it' date=' and now look at all the action :-

[/quote']

Maybe thats because you got it the first time they explained... I acted more like a drummer... asked a bunch of times till I "kind of" sure got it.

After you reverse the PU - the Adjustable pole pieces in Neck PU detect the strings from a new location - closer to the bridge = brighter.

Seth Lover only added the adjustable polepieces when Gibson asked for something to make the pickup look better !

A little psychology goes a long way ?

• 2 months later...

i have a 1960 gibson reissue with semour duncan antiquities. but i figured id try it on an epiphone with no covers first. the epi is 1996 it has a burstbucker 1 in the neck and a burstbucker 3 in the bridge. i switched around the magnet in the neck. it sounds really twangy, but it doesnt at all feel as aggressive as the other selections. it almost feels thin. what do i do?

Archived