Gibson Brands Forums

Art Work You Own.

Steven Tari

I was checking out the art work that AXE had in the thread My stripper pole.. I would like to get a better view of them if I could. AXE PLEASE. I'm into nature and Indian art. Those looked like some fine pieces you have there AXE. Did you or someone you know do them?

I just wanted to show some of my prize pieces. These are all signed and numbered.

This first piece was a present from a friend off the Sioux reservation. I had it framed and I gave them permision to set it in the window of the frame shop. They told me they had about 60 people come in trying to buy it. NOT FOR SALE.

Picture195-1.jpg

The second was found at a flea market. Paid 15 dollars for it. It was in an old broken frame. So I got it reframed.

Picture194-1.jpg

This one I found by accident. I was in an old painting shop and I just asked if he had any Indian art. At first he said no, then he said wait a minute and went into the back. He came back with this Print which is an artist pick. The guy who ordered it never came for it and he sold it to me for 45 dollars. bought it and ran like a thief.

Picture193-1.jpg

I ordered this piece. I love sunsets in camp.

Picture192-1.jpg

This one caught my eye because the fire is burning in the teepee and you can see the form of the indian inside. Plus the white buffalo in the background.

Picture190-1.jpg

Besides art I collect other Indian things.

Picture191-1.jpg

Hmmmmm.....

I've got some Korean porcelains, both new created in the old style wood-fired uphill kilns and repro, Some really nice Korean repro pieces from the period of Yul Gok; lots of signed/numbered wildlife prints, and a pretty neat "special" from artist Terry Redlin who was something like 15 years as "America's most popular artist" (they retired the "survey" when nobody else won it) after I did a story on him with his comments on the story written on the margin of the print ...

A Mick B. Harrison western... He's here in Belle Fourche and is a great promotor of northern plains art and "Artists of the Black Hills" in particular. I wish I could afford one of my friend Tony Chytka's bronzes. I emailed a shot of one to a friend in Oz who noted that he takes no second place to Remington. (Tony also was quite a successful PRCA pro bull rider.)

I'm not into "Indian" art I guess because after knowing Oscar Howe a bit, anything "less" just doesn't do it for me.

I've had artist friends who were federal duck stamp competition winners. I have several prints by John S. Wilson, one a "number 1" with a color remarque, and one piece by Josh Spies. Mark Anderson is another duck stamp winner and I've a piece of his somewhere. John and Josh are from Watertown, SD, where Redlin also lives; Mark's from Sioux Falls.

If I could afford them, my wife and I have done some of what might be considered "art photography" that I'd like to get properly framed but... alas, the negs of the older stuff are somewhere in boxes...

Besides, there are only so many walls on which to hang things.

m

Milod and Axe thanks for sharing that. The painting over the fireplace is beautiful. In my house just about every room has a theme. My office is nautical With large mast sailing ships on the wall. I have some nice silk paintings from Japan. And so forth. Thanks again for sharing.

Bradford J. Salamon.

If you don't know, he actually got his start doing charcoals of famous musicians, movie stars and bands. Now he has an amazing gallery in Fountain Valley, CA.

My favorite piece is his Purple Haze, Hendrix illustration. I don't think he even does rock stars anymore.

In a sense this is one of the more character-revealing threads around - far more than "politics."

I think one's taste in art very often reflects more about what's inside and their thought processes than their politics.

That latter, imho, also may reflect in approaches to music and their thought processes in terms of internal processing of music as part of a personal aesthetic sense.

As for Axe's comment on his antique "thing" vs. his modes of behavior outside the house... I dunno.

It's interesting to me, though, who has responded here... and what it may say of some of our fellow "regulars" that they did not.

To me, a general aesthetic sense is part of life. I shoot a lot of crap on the camera, but... sometimes...

m

I have a good friend who is an artist and she has given me 3 different charcoal drawings of lions that were used to decorate castle's or doors. She does other formats, but I love the look of charcoal.

1. Lion somewhere at castle Heidleburg, Germany

2. Lion from somewhere in London?

3. Lion on the door of the Parthanon.

I don't have pics of them, but if I remember perhaps tonight I can take some and post them.

She is really into the old Highlander TV show and she sells or sold a lot of her art work at the Highlander conventions.

Axe. My wife looked at your shoots and liked the Colonel and Victorian mix. Gave me some Ideas for the Game room. The swords on the walls and the Flintlock on the mantel under your aunts painting set it off. We've been picking up a couple things in Williamsberg and Jamestown.

I like the way you think Milod. Having been around so many different cultures as a kid. It gave me a chance to expand. Music, Art, And the customs of those different cultures. And pick the things I like out of all of them.

You seem to like Native Americans culture allot.

I lived in Fort Sill for a while. I was told that I had family on the Trail Of Tears. So yes I do.The closest I can come is the Pow-Wows, Where all the tribes come and meet. Also I love the Rendezvous And get to dress out as a Frontiersman. Its a blast.

I have a good friend who is an artist and she has given me 3 different charcoal drawings of lions that were used to decorate castle's or doors. She does other formats' date=' but I love the look of charcoal.

1. Lion somewhere at castle Heidleburg, Germany

2. Lion from somewhere in London?

3. Lion on the door of the Parthanon.

I don't have pics of them, but if I remember perhaps tonight I can take some and post them.

She is really into the old Highlander TV show and she sells or sold a lot of her art work at the Highlander conventions.[/quote']

Are they carved in the doors or are they knockers?

Steven...

Yeah, the getting around through different cultures is neat....

I do CW and Northern Plains Indian Wars reenacting, btw. Usually first person, though. Long story on that, but I combine my great grandfather's experience with my own background to create an appropriate persona as being on special detached duty as a captain. (My saber's still in the Jeep!)

For what it's worth, "I" met the Army's Inspector General Randolph Marcy (McClellan's father in law and author of "Prairie Traveler") while recovering from a horse wreck while my regiment, the 112th Illinois, was guarding supply trains in eastern Tennessee. Immediately after the war, due to my newspaper writing background and the fact that the 112th had been mounted and dismounted twice during the war, Marcy asked me to do research for an update on Prairie Traveler. That got me into the Red Cloud War and later Custer's expedition into the Black Hills. BTW, my great grandfather had the same name as my own and he was in the 112th.

I enjoy doing music from that era, too.

One thing I've noticed big time about pow wows today, btw, is that things really, really have changed. In the old days things were pretty traditional; now they've got dayglow colors and stuff nobody imagined 50 years ago.

I guess what that shows is that many Indian communities are just like other ethnic communities (there are quite a few in eastern South Dakota) in that they grow and change. The problem is that "oral tradition" seems also to have changed so much that the old stories from the elders seem to have become something far different from what I'd come across 40 years ago. So.... I dunno.

Archived