Gibson Brands Forums

Newer Songwriter Deluxes - Opinions?

Folkestone

Hi:

My preferences have been with Taylor and Martin over the years.

Recently, I've tried a couple of late model (2008) Gibson Songwriter Deluxes. I was quite impressed with their rather warm balanced tone.

I know there has been talk on this forum on some of the models from around 2003-2004.

I'd like to know people's recent experiences with this model re.: tone, playability and finish quality. Could I only be suffering from wanderlust?

Jeff

I just got a 2003 SWD, and I absolutely love it! I have played 2008 in the music store, and the sound and playability was pretty much identical. I have always played Gibson or Martin, but I always preferred the Gibson sound. I guess it's a personal thing.

I have an '01 SongBird Deluxe (same guitar with different appointments) and it's incredible! Killer tone from the rosewood. I gig every Friday night with it. Now I believe it's "played in". The tone justs keeps getting better and better! You definitely won't go wrong buying one!

I have a 2007 SWD and love it. I A/B tested it against a Hummingbird with myself and a friend playing them both. Up to that point, I had my heart set on a Bird (still do) but chose the SWD.

Great rich growly type tone. The cutaway has all the eq and stuff and so is very versatile. Have gigged it a dozen or so times and performs really well.

Can't go wrong here if you are aiming at a rosewood dreadnought.

Had mine professionally setup when new and playability is top class. I have the action at a medium height but have had it as low as my electrics - sorry haven't measured it!

Finish on mine is generally very good. The wood colouring on the neck is inconsistent under scrutiny but the abalone sound hole and fret board inlays are top quality. The grover tuners are very functional but gold is not everyone's taste. In fact, it is one of the more blinged up standard Gibsons so you have to be able to live with that.

The biggest issue I have with mine is laquer cracking where the fretboard binding meets the neck. There has been some significant movement where the board meets the top too. Having taken professional advice from a UK Gibson repairer, it's superficial and will be repaired soon, now that the guitar has settled more. Does not affect its playability or tone one bit.

Whilst I'm still infected with GAS, I'll always consider a swop but in reality, if this was the last guitar I could acquire, I'd be very very happy for as long as it matters.

BTW, they smell fantastic!

And welcome to the Forum Folkestone. Stick around. This place is good.

I played everything under the sun for 3 months...

ended up with a new 2008 SWD studio. IT was the best guitar for me regardless of price. Life had gotten busy and I hadn't played for a few days, brought in to work because I had some time early morning to play and I couldn't believe it was me making those sounds... I can't say enough good things about this guitar...

BTW I play with john pearse L600 strings. these made quite a difference as well.

Picked up my 09 Songwriter Deluxe Custom EC with Fishman sidewall mounted preamp from the dealer last Tuesday. Like Stumps, I test drove everything on the wall...for 3 years! this is my first Gibson, and the last guitar I'll prob ever buy. Excellent sound, feel, action, looks. If I figger out how, I'll paste a picture of it here. Otherwise, there are no pictures of this guitar, anywhere.

I chose this one for four reasons: tone, action, looks, price. the SWD was the best I found in all categories.

Yeah, I'm pleased.

Archived