Gibson Brands Forums

How in the crap :) can a hand-wired amp cost so much more?

axuality

Great thread and input from everyone. It's fun to mod amps but you can easily become distracted and obsessed with finding the Holy Grail of tone. I love to test drive amps with other players and experiment with new parts, but only for fun and to see where it takes me. I don't like to be restricted by the manufacturer's specs. I'm looking at some kits to build my own head. The Weber kits look interesting to me. Droge 1 did you build from scratch or a kit?

Great thread and input from everyone. It's fun to mod amps but you can easily become distracted and obsessed with finding the Holy Grail of tone. I love to test drive amps with other players and experiment with new parts' date=' but only for fun and to see where it takes me. I don't like to be restricted by the manufacturer's specs. I'm looking at some kits to build my own head. The Weber kits look interesting to me. Droge 1 did you build from scratch or a kit?[/quote']

I built my first from scratch, but using directions with a list of materials to buy and my current build is a kit.

The difference between the two is the one from scratch is one of the easiest designs based on an early Fender Princeton with some mods and the kit is a dumble sounding clone which is probably one of the most difficult builds.

This is copied from Mesa page explaining Class A and Class A/B tube amps:

Either type can be made to sound warm and lush or brash and biting --mostly as a result of other important factors such as the pre-amp and driver circuitry, transformer and component choices and of course speaker options. (Of no demonstrable importance is whether it was wired point-to-point or on a well done printed circuit board.) Tube type is vital: EL-34s, 6L6s, EL-84s, 6550s all sound different (especially when clipping) and even different brands of the same tube can sound shockingly different. So if you want to know more about the technical classes, please read on and enjoy. But remember: the most important thing about any amp is what it does for You!

Archived