Gibson Brands Forums

Nerd training 101

Homz

So....why are we not to ask how?

Perhaps you could tell us THAT.

Remember who you are dealing with...some of us tend to have so much useless information about guitars and memorize details about things that no impact on anything.

Nerd training 101

My son and I are watching Star Trek (original series). This is the new enhanced DVD set. They have updated some of the space scenes making it more interesting to the young viewers.

My son shuns the nerd title. I asked him who he thinks comes up with all those cool video games he loves to play. Star Trek is a good indoctrination into the realm of the nerd. Any suggestions for 200 level classes.

How about a Strat and glasses?

buddy-3.jpg

Y'all don't even KNOW the beginnings of Star Trek nerd-dom.

Which is ... sort of in its own way... a relief.

Don't ask me how I know all this [scared]=;

Ah, I once asked my dad how big the Enterprise was, he asked me "Which one?" [blink]

Ah, I once asked my dad how big the Enterprise was, he asked me "Which one?" [blink]

BINGO!!!

True ST nerds or "Trekkies" can list the specs of each one.....

and collect miniatures of each...

and have "Tricorder" apps on their iPhone/Android.....

So....why are we not to ask how?

Perhaps you could tell us THAT.

Remember who you are dealing with...some of us tend to have so much useless information about guitars and memorize details about things that no impact on anything.

Okay okay well fine, stein, you're out for answers from me today looks like, do they have to make sense? [biggrin] (just checking)

Well the short answer is "It's Complicated"

The medium answer is, "I have had a LOT OF FRIENDS obsessed with Star Trek during the course of my lifetime, one of which is my ever-loving husband Steve."

The long answer I don't have time to type out, but it would be to describe each of these interesting folks............ even so........... I have yet to meet someone who dresses up for a Star Trek Con but I DO KNOW people who costume it up for Comic Con ... and the like :)

The BEST Christmas Present I ever gave my hubby was a replica of an exploding Enterprise complete with sound effects and blow-apart sections with removable nacel engines.

Last time I went out of town he held a Star Trek Marathon in my absence and posted numerous quotes from the films as his Facebook Status.

BINGO!!!

True ST nerds or "Trekkies" can list the specs of each one.....

and collect miniatures of each...

and have "Tricorder" apps on their iPhone/Android.....

He also has a list of all the deck names and functions in his living room. My brother in law and him like to have debates over various things, Kirk VS Picard, Data VS Spock and things like that. I get lost in the debates but always have a good laugh about it.

He also has a list of all the deck names and functions in his living room. My brother in law and him like to have debates over various things, Kirk VS Picard, Data VS Spock and things like that. I get lost in the debates but always have a good laugh about it.

Yes!! YES!! Ooopsorryy totally gets it.

We are onlookers in the obsession [biggrin][thumbup]:rolleyes:=D>

Therefore we are conversant in the details.

I disallowed the model Enterprise as living room decor.

Call me evil [wub]

Yes!! YES!! Ooopsorryy totally gets it.

We are onlookers in the obsession [biggrin][thumbup]:rolleyes:=D>

Therefore we are conversant in the details.

I disallowed the model Enterprise as living room decor.

Call me evil [wub]

YES!!! Wait till Matt SEAR sees this. He gonna be all over it.

My Gwennie, bless her heart, is starting to remember details about certain guitars. And I know she could care less.

YES!!! Wait till Matt SEAR sees this. He gonna be all over it.

My Gwennie, bless her heart, is starting to remember details about certain guitars. And I know she could care less.

ha ha!

He did (That Matt guy)

Our lounge is more Dr Who and Star Wars themed; a talking Yoda, R2 D2 and a life size vadar head, not to forget a sand person; also it seemed right that Yoda and Buddha would have pride of place next to each other in front of the tv LOL. In the dining room/piano room there is the more Star Trek stuff. The 'away crew' are on the fridge and the Enterprise adorns the highest shelf.

and also again some other Dr Who stuff like the Tardis, money box, Daleks and Cyber Men LOL!! We have mini darleks too guarding the piano...

We also have a large doll of Wolverine in there, V (V for Vendetta), Hannibal Lecter on his trolley with mask on and also The Jigsaw doll from saw with a special little touch of a dictaphone next to him to pay respects to the films!

Jesus himself said blessed is the geek, for he shall inherit the earth msp_flapper.gifmsp_flapper.gifmsp_flapper.gif

Matt

When you are a geek you are proud and know no shame LMAO...Sorry about the stoned eyes. This was our first day in Universal studios and I had jet lag from arriving the previous day..."hmmm jet lag I had"

IMG_0304.jpg?t=1305271353

I set at a table at a fund raiser and had dinner one night sitting next to a woman from one of the Star Trek or similar shows, she played a part robot or something with metal in her temple and a number for a name, but sorry can't remember what the name was. I actually won an autographed photograph of her and a walkie talkie prop thing from the show basically for being the only person in the room that didn't have a clue who any of them were.

Sadly the only person I even remotely recognized was the asian looking guy from the original show that was always trying to operate some equipment just to the left of Captain Kirk (looking out). But he wasn't at my table - It was really pretty embarrassing to know nothing about the show especially during a trivia game that pitted tables against each other. I actually won the walkie talkie thing when it became clear to everyone that I didn't even know who the woman sitting next to us was, although it wasn't fair in my opinion because she didn't have the robot parts on her face or the skintight body suit on. [cursing]

Sadly the only person I even remotely recognized was the asian looking guy from the original show that was always trying to operate some equipment just to the left of Captain Kirk (looking out). [cursing]

Asian? Was he a Cambodian, Chinaman, Afghan, Indian etc? Can you be more specific? msp_flapper.gif

Matt

And so if "accoustic guitars are light sabers" then what are pianos?

I would post the thread but I don't have that knowledge.

hmmm, I'd say Pianos are not weapons, like guitars are in the other thread, but more like the holodeck, as like the holdeck can create any situation from your imagination, the piano can emulate every other instrument of the orchestra , hense being the king of instruments too!

Matt

I'm a big fan of Star Wars, and I really liked TNG, I watched all of Voyager, (especially when 7 joined [biggrin] ) But If I had to pick my biggest thing, my room is Video game and mainly Nintendo related, including my tattoos as I mentioned.

I would say that being a Trekkie these days is not in the nerd category any more. Sure back in the day they definitely were, but these days not so much.

Having said that, I do have some old squirt gun phasers from when I was a child - I probably got them back around 1974 or so... I think my Space 1999 guns broke.

Archived