Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul and Fender Blues Deluxe - good match?

ant7629

Hello all

I am in the market for a new amp for home use and gigging and was thinking about a Fender Blues Deluxe. I am guessing it is a very loud amp and I think it looks really cool, but how will a Les Paul sound through it? I am not a fan of on board effects and digital modelling, I just like the warm valve sound.

I have a Marshall JCM 2000 already, which sounds great, but there is always room for one more right?

Thanks

Well, you pretty much shut me up there toward the end when you mentioned already owning a Marshall as that was going to be my counter suggestion :-s

I like the Blues Deluxe much more than the Hot Rod Deluxe (which I find very sterile). While I wouldn't call it a top shelf amp in the Fender lineup, I think it's decent for the money if you're just interested in a fairly serviceable amp that will sound decent. It's going to be pretty loud for home use (though that's to be expected).

If you can swing it, I'd likely go w/the '57 Twin ... that's a hell of an amp.

Hot Rod, or Blues Deluxe will be too loud for home use, if you expect to get any real "Tube" tone, from it.

Try a Pro Junior. It's about as simple as you can get, all tube, and just a volume and tone knob.

Same 15 watts, as the Blues Junior, but with a 10" speaker, and without all the exta stuff. The one thing

in the Blues Junior's favor, over the Pro Jr. is Reverb.

The '57 Twin is an awesome amp, but again...too loud, for home...and, unless you're filthy rich, too expensive,

too. Vox AC-15 is another choice, Blackheart, Epiphone, Orange, all have small tube amps. Try 'em all! See

which one you prefer. I use a Blues Junior in small clubs and bars, and it's never turned up full...1/2 maybe!

So 15 tube watts, is plenty! Another great amp, is a Fender Deluxe Reverb...at 22 watts.

CB

Thanks for replies. And good to hear from you again CB! Hows the Japanese SG?

If the Blues Junior is that loud, then maybe I'll give that a go. I would love a '57 Twin (wouldn't we all), but I don't want to be spending that much on an amp. That kind of money goes on guitars :-)

Thanks for replies. And good to hear from you again CB! Hows the Japanese SG?

If the Blues Junior is that loud' date=' then maybe I'll give that a go. I would love a '57 Twin (wouldn't we all), but I don't want to be spending that much on an amp. That kind of money goes on guitars :-)[/quote']

Cheers Ant...thanks. The MIJ '61 SG is Awesome! The "Honeymoon" is not over, by a long shot!

Also, on the Blues Junior (if you decide to go that way)...you can experiment with tubes, preamp

and also different brands, to get a bit different tone. Speakers will make a big difference. I changed

my original, to a Celestion Vintage 30. Love it! The original was OK...but the Vintage 30 got me much

closer to what I wanted. Eminence makes some great ones, too.

Also...Check out the Fender Forum, for "Bill M" mods, too...if you decide it needs any?

There is a group over there called the "Blues Junior Mafia," that has some great tips, for getting the best

out of that great little amp!

As to spending mega bucks on an amp. I would, gladly, IF/When I could justify it, with proper usage. You can

never go wrong, buying a great amp! They will make even less than stellar guitars sound great, when

an awesome guitar, in a cheap amp...will sound...well, Cheap/Terrible! But, for "home use," I think you'll

like the Blues Junior or the Pro Junior...even. But...as I said before, there are LOTS of great little tube amps'

out there....check as many out, as you can.

Cheers,

CB

I'll add some support for the Blues Junior too - i've got one and it's great for playing at home.

I've made a bunch of the billm mods to mine too - it's a fantastic little amp. BillM Mods

I've got it in my mind that one day i'll be getting a Victoria Bandmaster (35310) amp but i need a larger place first ;)

If you're interested in the Fender 57 reissues you should really check out the victorias!!

Another great amp' date=' is a Fender Deluxe Reverb...at 22 watts.

[/quote']

I'd second that. But at £800 it's a bit expensive. The thing with the Pro/Blues Juniors is the output valves (tubes) are EL84's same as a Marshall whereas the Blues Deluxe/Hot Rods are 6L6/5881's so you'll get a more comparible crunch to a Marshall from the Juniors. Saying that though, if you can crank the Blues Deluxe they sound bloody awesome with a Les Paul... neighbours'll hate ya for it though ;-)...

Enjoy ;-)

Archived