Gibson Brands Forums

Right Guitar Wrong Reasons

AXE®

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about platinum, but they do make a bronze. The worst part was I went into the shop with every intention of checking out an SG, and there she was sitting center stage behind the glass. I actually did pick up and play an SG standard, but the 57 was just staring at me, daring me to pick her up. I finally sucumb to the voices, and that was all it took. I hope momma doesn't realize that I went a little over budget. But I know I can count on you guys to help keep the secret. :D

I don't know about platinum' date=' but they do make a bronze. The worst part was I went into the shop with every intention of checking out an SG, and there she was sitting center stage behind the glass. I actually did pick up and play an SG standard, but the 57 was just staring at me, daring me to pick her up. I finally sucumb to the voices, and that was all it took. I hope momma doesn't realize that I went a little over budget. But I know I can count on you guys to help keep the secret. :D [/quote']

Hope momma doesn't check the forums...:D

Now that the thread is somewhat back on track....I too bought bought a LP to some degree just to have a genuine Gibson.

My wife gave her blessing for me to go and spend some money a nice guitar..whatever I wanted. She said you worked hard for many years and deserve it. I had been playing a MIM Strat for years and though it' a fine guitar I was bored with it. I tried all kinds. The American Series Strats sounded and played killer, but I didn't want another Strat even if it was way better than mine. The PRS played awsome and actually was the nicest and best quality guitar I played. In the end though, I had coveted a genuine Gibson LP since I was a kid. I had to go with that. After trying several, I didn't even go with the Standard because I thought the Studio played just as well for about $1000 less. Maybe I should have bought the Standard or even a Custom since cash wasn't an issue but I'm very happy I went with the Gibson Les Paul Studio. Maybe in another few years I'll actually go for a PRS, but I would be just as likely to add another LP to my collection. There just seems to be some mystical attraction to the Les Paul guitar.

My eleven-year-old son became interested in the guitar due to playing Guitar Hero. At age ten his favorite guitarist was Slash (before Guitar Hero III came out with Slash on the cover). I bought him one of those Squire Strat Packs that come with the guitar, strap, gig bag, and amp for about $250.

He started taking lessons with a professional guitarist experienced in rock, blues and metal - but was having some trouble with the Squire guitar. Truth be told it was a crappy little guitar - so rather than have him lose interest I took back the Squire Strat Pack. To make a very long story short, after several exchanges we ended up with a Gibson Les Paul Standard Silverburst, a Marshall JVM410H amplifier and a Marshall 1960A speaker cabinet. He's been playing and taking lessons for a year now and still loves it. Sounds really good, too!

Nothing like the sound of a Les Paul played through a Marshall. Sometimes when I'm in my home office and hear him playing (AC/DC, Metallica, Guns N Roses, Deep Purple, Scorpions, Santana) I can't help but smile. I think I made a good investment and he's going to enjoy his gear for years to come (as will I).

Yeah, I can see ego being a factor...but it isn't for me. I'm not a "my amp is bigger than your amp" kinda guy. I've always wanted a stack, I had the extra money, so I went for it.

I agree with everybody that a full Marshall stack really isn't needed nowadays...loading/unloading it all the time would be a pain; but, if you're playing live venues, and want to make a visual statement, then it's the only way to go.

Sorry for bringing Slash into this, but I'm only using him as an example. Could any of you picture Slash on stage playing a LP Standard through a 2 x 12" Fender?

DuaLeaD, if you want a stack, then go for it, I say (mind you I'm a complete stranger). As long as you're alright with hauling it back and forth. Amps are like guitars, you have to find the right one for you. If the right amp for you is a stack, how could you settle for anything less?

This happened with me. I was looking at 'normal' sized amps, some sounded incredible and were much cheaper than my Marshall...but what it really boiled down to was I didn't want any of those. I really wanted a Marshall stack. I'm glad I bought it and wouldn't have it any other way. This isn't a reason to buy one, but my friends come over just so I can demo it for them...they stand right in front of it and I crank the volume. It's hilarious! One guy said it's like sticking your head in the Rockford Fosgate van. [-o< You wouldn't get that with any other amp.

Truthfully, some of the other suggestions for an amp would suit you just fine. Again, PA systems are much better nowadays.

As for your original question - half stack or full stack? You could always buy the half stack and if you need more, then buy cab B.

Btw: Tico, could you pose some pics of your silverburst and your rig, maybe in a new thread? I love silverbursts!!!

Archived