Gibson Brands Forums

2008 gibson les paul standard

curtis adkins

i dont see why people knock these guitars they are amazing.

they play just as good if not better than some or most older les pauls .

the finish of this guitar is killer the flame pops out of the top wow.

it has burstbucker pro pickups wich are killer paf type pickup's .

the body is chambered but mine is like 9 lbs.

i love the new neck profile i play for hours and no pain.i used to use a friend of mine's 93 lp studio and it hurt after like 3 set's maybe less.

the fretboard looks and feels great. the locking grovers are amazing my guitar never goes out of tune.

mine was plecked but still needed a set up to be at my liking.

the fret work is wow so great.

the binding is second to none.(perfect)

i love the new tone pros bridge stop bar they work great i feel they are better than the abr-1 and tuneomatic.

the new jack rocks so hard your cord will never pop out or give you any probs.bc it grabs the jack and holds it for better conn.the old ones just sat in nothing gripping in it.

the top im told is the same carve as a 1959 reissue lp.

the neck has the biggest pocket ever on a gibson (more wood to wood surface)= more sustain(and it does)

mine the inlays look aged not like the classics had but done to taste.

all in all one killer guitar =P~:D/

I think you have to understand something - the people who bash them bash them because they're different. Any change made to a Les Paul that is not more in line with a traditional Les Paul (not the Traditional Model) will receive criticism. You sometimes hear things like "these chambered Les Pauls don't sound like my '95." I'll admit, they do sound different but not in a bad way. Personally, I like them. I have a chambered '58 reissue and it's a fabulous guitar.

You're the guy who created a thread and asked for a free guitar, right? Glad to hear that things worked out and you got one. By the way, this section is only for '59 reissues. Yours is a regular LP and should be posted in the other section of the forum. Care to post some pictures of it?

l_de404ff995a946179f2ea67c1c47f6ad

l_544eac93122c4b1bb10b4f1f4b83badb

l_8f1fd6318f1d434cb8b83c84bc132b43

l_7b6329b6882a480a9cb6eefb47564262

l_1a4c69e77ad5427a8d2c69c728f0b56a

l_7b6329b6882a480a9cb6eefb47564262

l_f630d7ce63ef44128ad35b26552b52dd

goto this link and you can see the pics of my 2008 gibson les paul standard :-

if you cant see it here plaese feel free to stop by my mayspace page i have pics on there url is halfbaked_420 thank you all im just so happy i now have one and can join the family you guys r cool and guitar smart this i like ;) oh yeah leava a comment on my pics to let me what you think and let me know you are from the fourm you guys ROCK .:D/ :D/ :D/ =D> :D =P~ :D/

• 3 weeks later...

Having a 2002 it is the HOLY GRAIL of re-issues with the Brazilian fretboard.

What they get for these is OUT OF CONTROL...sure don't get me wrong they are fantastic guitars but in NO WAY are they worth 5-6 grand !!!!

IT WAS THE real 59 THAT HAD THAT SPECIAL NECK AND BODY THAT WAS not chambered BACK THEN THAT MADE THESE THE FIRST CHUNKY SOUNDING PAULS EVER

EPIPHONE IS PUTTING UT A RE-ISSUE FOR THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY FOR 799.99 THAT IS GORGEOUS AND THE MAIN DIFFERENCE IS ELECTRONICS !!!

IF ANYONE IS LOOKING FOR ONE JUST GO WITH A PLAIN TOP AS THAT IS WHAT THEY LOOKED LIKE BACK IN 59.

FLAME TOPS ONLY STARTED IN THE PAST DECADE OR SO FOR LOOKS, NOTHING ELSE AND THESE LOOKS COST BIG TIME.

THOUGH A PRETTY GUITAR IS GREAT...IT DOES NOTHING FOR TONE AND OVERALL SOUND.

EVEN THOUGH I AM A GIBBY MAN THROUGH AND THROUGH DON'T GET CAUGHT UP ON HYPE AND THAT IS WHAT YOU'LL NEED FIGHT OFF PAYING FOR STUFF YA DON;T NEED OR WANT !!!!

STILL ONE GREAT GUITAR...BUT IMHO THE 56 IS THE BEST RE-ISSUE THEY HAVE....THAT IS COMIN FROM A P-90 JUNKIE!!

enjoy

St James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got this same guitar but it's a '97. I love it. It's back up to my '78 LP Custom. I'm thinking about making it my primary guitar though. The action is totally perfect and the binding is flawless like you said. The only reason that I am discouraged playing it out is that the finish is almost too pretty which leave it subject for theft. Eventhough, we have our own security that watches our stuff. And Detroit aint exactly yuppieville.

Having a 2002 it is the HOLY GRAIL of re-issues with the Brazilian fretboard.

What they get for these is OUT OF CONTROL...sure don't get me wrong they are fantastic guitars but in NO WAY are they worth 5-6 grand !!!!

IT WAS THE real 59 THAT HAD THAT SPECIAL NECK AND BODY THAT WAS not chambered BACK THEN THAT MADE THESE THE FIRST CHUNKY SOUNDING PAULS EVER

EPIPHONE IS PUTTING UT A RE-ISSUE FOR THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY FOR 799.99 THAT IS GORGEOUS AND THE MAIN DIFFERENCE IS ELECTRONICS !!!

IF ANYONE IS LOOKING FOR ONE JUST GO WITH A PLAIN TOP AS THAT IS WHAT THEY LOOKED LIKE BACK IN 59.

FLAME TOPS ONLY STARTED IN THE PAST DECADE OR SO FOR LOOKS' date=' NOTHING ELSE AND THESE LOOKS COST BIG TIME.

THOUGH A PRETTY GUITAR IS GREAT...IT DOES NOTHING FOR TONE AND OVERALL SOUND.

EVEN THOUGH I AM A GIBBY MAN THROUGH AND THROUGH DON'T GET CAUGHT UP ON HYPE AND THAT IS WHAT YOU'LL NEED FIGHT OFF PAYING FOR STUFF YA DON;T NEED OR WANT !!!!

STILL ONE GREAT GUITAR...BUT IMHO THE 56 IS THE BEST RE-ISSUE THEY HAVE....THAT IS COMIN FROM A P-90 JUNKIE!!

enjoy

St James

[/quote']

EPIPHONEs are Junk in my opinion! There is no comparison between a "real Gibson" and an Epiphone. They are are made in India these days aren't they?

EPIPHONEs are Junk in my opinion! There is no comparison between a "real Gibson" and an Epiphone. They are are made in India these days aren't they?

Tell that to my #1 ('02 LP Standard Plus)! She is THE BEST sounding/playing guitar that I have EVER owned! Even better than ANY Gibson I've played, so far. Epi guitars aren't necessarily crap, they're just A LOT more hit-n-miss than Gibsons. But believe me, I've played a few of Gibson's misses, and it wasn't pretty!

Archived