Gibson Brands Forums

Memphis Tone......

Murph

I've been gigging my "Custom Shop" ES-339 for well over a year now, and last night, driving home, I was thinking about how responsive this system is with a "non master volume all tube amp".

It's unreal how I can do clean to nasty with the turn of a knob...... on the guitar, no pedals (okay a TS9 that is never turned off) and that's it.

The sustain with this semi hollow, with a cranked Mesa amp is all up to me. It's a matter of how long I want it to go. Pinch harmonics, in front of the amp, are insane......

Gibson has a real good thing with this, and I wish some of you could use this system in the "real World", and see/hear how good it really is.

Best of luck........

Murph.

Glad you're happy with it' date=' Murph. I'll get one someday but I'll probably go all fancy and get the 359. I need some more ebony...[/quote']

My old SG is ebony, and I love that SOB......

Best of luck, Tim.....

I mean that, pal.....

Murph.

I agree. I just crank the amp up and start with the guitar volume at about 7 or 8 - when the volume gets over about 9 she starts moanin'. By 9.5' date=' she's groanin' like Janis Joplin going through childbirth.[/quote']

+1.....

:-

What is this Memphis tone that you speak of? A different wiring scheme? Different pots and caps?

All I know is they have 500K taper pots with an interactive load, operating logarithmically, to maintain the higher frequencies at lower levels. I don't know if a circuit diagram exists though...

Archived