Gibson Brands Forums

Birthday Girl Needs Help Deciding!

mwd

OK, my .02.

I've always assumed my next Gibson would be a J-45. Then I started looking at Hummingbirds, and I'm starting to wonder.

I appreciate that the J-45 is a great "all-around" guitar. But I also like that the Hummingbird is a little sweeter and more tuned to complement a human voice. (I definitely prefer the look of the J-45, though.) As for the kind of music you listed, I'd think a J-45 would be more well-suited (which is not to say a Hummingbird wouldn't sound amazing as well). Me personally, I'm going to have a long look at one of those "no bird" Hummingbirds.

OK, so everything I've typed so far is not that helpful. I will say this, though, and it may be. You say you have the chance to buy a TV J-45 from a friend. If you have played this guitar in person and love it, then get it. Being able to really get to know a guitar outside a shop or website is really valuable. I never had that chance with most of the guitars I've bought recently. I just had to hope I was getting a "good one."

Also, you mention the midrange and bass and "growliness" of the J-45. In my experience, it's a lot harder to get this type of sound from a guitar. I think you can get more high range and "jangliness" by experimenting with strings, bridge pins, etc., but a guitar either has a deep, thick tone or it doesn't.

My final thought is, if this is going to be your only guitar, I'd go with the J-45. It's just a great "Ground Zero." I think when you have a few instruments to choose from, you can afford to pick up more "specialized" guitars. Until then, I'd go with one that can do everything well.

Good luck, and happy birthday.

(And be sure to post pics whatever you decide.)

I have read time and again on this forum about both the J-45 and/or the Hummingbird being a guitar that is tuned to complement the human voice. Do any of you folks have strong opinions as to one being better than the other, or one being better for a high voice or low voice. I find the J-45 very complementary to my voice but have not sung with the Hummingbird .

Hey Birthday Girl! You're like me. My musical tastes are all over the map. I like a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I used to play when I was 16, then dropped it for 30 years and started up again a few years ago.

What guitar did you finally get??? I think you can't go wrong with either of them.

Happy B-Day!

I'm a rookie to the forum, but have a long gray beard when it comes to guitars.

No question that my recommendation would be the Hummingbird. Nothing nicer than the aging of the mahogany on a 'bird for backing up vocals. I personally play a '69 Jubilee, (bet most haven't heard of 'em!), and a '79 Dove. I've had the Dove for 30 years and it just keeps getting better.

As others have said, nice position to be in. Would love to see the guitar you choose!

B

To the OP, thanks for the kind words! I'm glad and flattered that you enjoyed my music.

On the guitar/vocal issue, I have been told by several completely unconnected but very reliable sources, that when Gibson conceptualised the Hummingbird, it was designed and built/braced to be voiced in a way that doesn't interfere, in terms of frequency of sound/tonality, with the human voice. The Hummingbird just 'gets out of the way' when accompanying the human voice, courtesy of a rich yet subtle midrange tonality which is bold enough to solo with and play instrumental stuff with, but really shines for vocal accompaniment.

This makes it an ideal singer/songwriter guitar, great for anyone who performs live alone, records vocal and guitar together, and also those who sing softly and don't want to be pushed out of the mix by a guitar with a dominant midrange honk.

Another interesting, yet totally irrelevant fact, is that the one instrument which is tonally closest to the human voice is the Oboe. If you ever hear a vocalist singing over a piece which features a prominent oboe, it sounds like a fire in a pet shop. Hence the reason why you don't find too many oboists in demand for pop/rock session work!

Archived