Gibson Brands Forums

Buckethead on Jazz.com

So anyway, yeah, Thanatopsis was great. I wonder if Bucket will ever do anything with Travis on that scale again. Their last few albums seemed like they were jammed out on the spot. Not that I didn't love the Chicken Noodles releases, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing something else on that same level.

Does anyone own Octave of the Holy Innocents? Can't say I've heard anything off of it. You don't hear much about that one among the fanbase. I'm interested in finding out what Bucket could do with Hellborg.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. I never knew buckethead fans coordinated their menstration cycles. I guess it must be that time of the month when buckethead hasnt released an album for a whole week

My god...now the president is going to commit sucide! =D>

Oh man, negate the first part of my last post. I forgot all about Dragons of Eden. That's one of the best albums he's put out in the past few years. Sounds basically like Thanatopsis with the addition of some cello parts by Cameron Stone. I really couldn't ask for much more. To me, the standout track was Tales of Dim Eden, but they all kind of grow on you after a while.

Axiology is the best of the Thanatopsis albums imho, that's almost had more play time in my CD player than anything else. I've always thought that the most important band member is Ramy Antoun. Without him, it's just another Bucket and Travis album. Ramy defines the sound, he's truly a great drummer.

Regarding Octave of the Holy Innocents, it's an exeptional album, one of the best Buckethead has been involved with. Try and find the original 1995 pressing, the re-release is not as good, I'd even go so far as to say that Hellborg almost ruined it.

He just seems too mechanical for me... not enough soul...

Just out of interest, what albums have you heard?

And what are your opinions on other guitarists at the top of their game like Guthrie Govan, and Mattias Eklundh? Maybe it's the whole virtuoso thing and exact playing that's turning you off, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Octave of the Holy innocents is awesome! I only have the re-release but it's good anyway. 5 songs doesn't sound like a lot but the overall length of the album is pretty long. I would describe it as jazz funk latin egyption experimental fusion. The songs have jazz drum beats and jazz structure plus Hellborg plays some funky slap bass. Buckethead does some experimental noodling. One of the songs, I would describe as latin egyption, it's just exotic like that. The whole album overall has some cool soloing by Hellborg and Buck.

I don't know if you actually think I like him or you are just trying to piss me off...

either way' date=' we aren't friends

And honestly, I don't love it either, there are things I like to argue about, bucketman is not one of them.

And Loaf definitely signed up to defend bucketman....[/quote']

Your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning. It's quite obvious you don't like him....but what i find funny is that you said you don't like to argue about him. I'm pretty sure you started a thread to start a BH argument (Before the fanboys.....)

I'll say it again.....if you don't like the artist, stay outta the thread...its simpler that way. I have had MANY opportunities to shame a lot of you based on a guitarist you like that I don't, but that doesn't help anything. That just causes more stupid arguments like this one and i'm not a jerk.

I do think you're correct in that Loaf needs to realize he ain't changing anyone's mind. He's expending a lot of energy on people who are not willing to listen. Loaf, I would bet some of these guys skip your posts in these topics at this point. No need to bulldoze people.....

• 1 month later...

Archived