Gibson Brands Forums

Yesterday, I played my friends '64 J-45

onewilyfool

WOW>....that is all I can say. This guitar does NOT have the double 'x' bracing of the later year 60's models. It had a light (very) sunburst in faded cherry, not all red like some. IT had an amazing sound. A real Growl. Wonderful bass that would make a D-28 blush. I just couldn't believe this guitar. Of course, I offered to buy it from him on the spot....lol....not a chance. One interesting thing about this guitar, and this is why I recommend that you ALWAYS bring someone with you to play the guitar back at you, the guitar sounded GREAT from a player's POV, but when played towards me, WOW. Unbelievable projection!!! This would be a great stage guitar. I thought I was over my GAS, now this whole world of 'vintage' opens up.....dang!!!

I think 1971 was the year they came out with the double X.

Late '67 there were some changes, I think the braces got a little heavier and the bridge plate got bigger, but I owned an early '67 B-25 and a late '67 B-25 with the aforementioned changes... and the later, heavier, supposedly less desirable one sounded better. Once again showing what's on the drawing board isn't always a good indicator of what happens when the rubber meets the road.

Hey all-

Great post. Not I think y'all know why two weeks ago I purchased the Gibson Custom Shop 1964 J-45 reissue from Fullers...Jerry Fuller told me that the special run he had made for sale by his store had the exact same lighter X bracing as the original 1964, plus the same faded cherry sunburst and other nuances as the original.

Thanks for the post. Too cool!

QM

Hey all-

Great post. Not I think y'all know why two weeks ago I purchased the Gibson Custom Shop 1964 J-45 reissue from Fullers...Jerry Fuller told me that the special run he had made for sale by his store had the exact same lighter X bracing as the original 1964' date=' plus the same faded cherry sunburst and other nuances as the original.

Thanks for the post. Too cool!

QM [/quote']

Cool Mark......That is a good one to re-issue!!!

Archived