Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge pickup stopped working!

Rizzy

I was playing my Gibson SG on the neck pickup today' date=' then when i switched to the bridge pickup it did'nt work! I have used it earlyer today. Does anyone know what the problem might be?[/quote']

Maybe a cable not well linked between switch and PU

1st... make sure your bridge volume knob is up (i did that once and I thought it was busted :-

next, open the control cavity to make sure everything is still connected grounded.. its pretty unusual for a guitar to "just stop working" unless it has some sort of impact. guitars are pretty resilient

My guess is the pickup selector.

Follow the advice posted, make sure pots function and pull the cover to see if anything wiggles.

No luck there, then a selector is the likely culprit.

I've replaced a few over the years, maddening because I really don't use 'em much.

95% of my playing is on the bridge pickup so it ain't like I'm wearing it out...

Unless you're really attached to your bridge pickup (I never have been)' date=' KEEP it dead and use it as a kill switch O:)

I am completely serious.[/quote']

I would die w/o a bridge pickup.... since all I really play is metal I practically use it all the time except for some soloing

My guess is the pickup selector.

That just happened to my Flying V, I like to lower the volume of the neck pup to zero and flick back and forth from bridge to neck. Like Randy Rhoads did on Crazy Train, which is great but can kill the pickup selector.

I opened her up and pressed-squeezed the two peices of metal which you`ll see on the selector, this solved the problem (for now) but I need to by a new switch before it dies again. You`re probably in the same mess dude, and one of these days the switch will die out again, they like to do it live-halfway through a gig.

Archived