Gibson Brands Forums

funny Craigslist post...

onewilyfool

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/1430502962.html

RE: 'PLAYS LIKE A DREAM' (Littlebrainville)

Date: 2009-10-20, 5:08PM PDT

Reply to: see below

OK all you CL salesmen.....time for yet another reality check.

Does your guitar 'play like a dream' because you stare at it all day dreaming of how to play it?

Did you really only play it once during a 'session'?.....ya know, your buddies 'garage session'.

Is your guitar really 'rare'?

Ok, one more time for good measure, did you really only play it once? ("Oh officer, I only had...2 beers...yeah 2...but I only played my geeetar once...ok, maybe twice.")

Do you really need to use the phrase 'thinning the herd' again and again and again and again.....?

Do you really need to use the phrase 'plays like butter' over and over and over and over and over?

Is your guitar really 'mint' if it only has that ONE dent near the input jack? Well, is it mint then??

Is your guitar really "THE BEST GUITAR I HAVE EVER OWNED?"......but decided you should sell IT first...ya know, cuz it's the best one?

Is your Epiphone a Gibson? Ok then, is your Squire a Fender? Anyone??? No??

Do you think it is appealing to a potential buyer to see photos of their future guitar laying on a recently splooged on mattress next to dirty underwear and socks? Anyone?? Again. no?

Think people, just think before you lie or embellish the truth about your gear. 99% of you have NEVER done a 'session' or played beyond your bedrooms and garages. All of you lie about playing a guitar 'only once' before puting it back in the case. A '54 Strat is 'rare'...not an Epiphone LP copy from '84. Mint condition means NEVER USED! No dent, no ding, no smeg, no cigarrette smell.....got it!

I realize I have bruised all of your frail, insecure musician ego's with the truth, but try to have a nice day anyway's.....besides, you can all feel good again after flagging this post :-

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I don't have much luck selling on craigslist. Probably because of the geographical area, low population = limited market yadda yadda. It'd be fine if I were selling a snowmobile I guess, but I sold mine in the spring of '73 and have never looked back (shudder). I do get responses such as "I would very much like to buy your product. Please to tell me where I may pick it up?" which is just a sad way of harvesting my email address for spam.

I do see ads for used musical equipment that is priced higher than it can be bought new. I don't know whether these people are stupid or they think everyone ELSE is stupid....

Having said that, I still peruse it daily. Never know when an old Kay will get pulled out of the attic.

Having said that' date=' I still peruse it daily. Never know when an old Kay will get pulled out of the attic.[/quote']

I look at it daily too and living in a large market area certainly helps. I have had many great Craigslist experiances and in reality though a bunch of good trading (always trade up! :-$ ) I have accumulated some pretty nice gear without spending any real money.

As for the old Kay from the attic.... 2 days ago on Craigslist here in Minneapolis there was a "Old Guitar" listed in the heading for $25.00. I clicked on the ad only to see a very old looking Epiphone 335 copy with no strings, floating bridge was running vertical, not horizontal in the photo. The guy said, I know nothing about guitars but got this from my Uncle years ago. Never learned how to play it.... ect. I sent an email right away but he had already gotten "several" offers and one was on the way to pick it up right then..... That's when I decided that I have to quit work and start doing the Craigslist thing "Full Time" or I would miss more deals like that! :- =;](*,)

I look at it daily too and living in a large market area certainly helps. I have had many great Craigslist experiances and in reality though a bunch of good trading (always trade up! =P~ ) I have accumulated some pretty nice gear without spending any real money.

Ditto.....

I actually just found a 1964 LG-00 on CL (3 days ago and 4 days after buying my LG-01' date=' the family is growing quick...) about 2 miles from my house, entirely stock (including the plastic bridge!!!! I can finally see what they looked like) not a crack on her, in it's original "cardboardy" case, needless to say I snatched her away about 2 hours after the ad was posted:

[img']http://i38.tinypic.com/28sltld.jpg[/img]

15fn5vr.jpg

Long live CL and it's funny ads! =P~

RE: 'hurts my fingers to play'

Date: 2009-10-20, 5:08PM PDT

Reply to: see below

Is your guitar really 'rare'? Yes it is.. it's the only one I have to sell right now.

Ok, one more time for good measure, did you really only play it once? Yes. I've been strummin' on it for years, but only once did it sound like I was playing something.

Do you really need to use the phrase 'thinning the herd' again and again and again and again.....? .. Okay.. Music room so full it fell out the door and may have snapped it's neck. I loosed the strings soes no one would notice.

Do you really need to use the phrase 'plays like butter' over and over and over and over and over? Yeah, I like to eat popcorn while I play.... er strum.

Is your guitar really 'mint' if it only has that ONE dent near the input jack? Well, is it mint then?? Yes, because it has a starlight mint stuck to the back side.

Is your guitar really "THE BEST GUITAR I HAVE EVER OWNED?"......but decided you should sell IT first...ya know, cuz it's the best one? Sometimes You have to bit the bullet and sell the best you got. Exspecially when rent is due.

Is your Epiphone a Gibson? Ok then, is your Squire a Fender? Anyone??? No?? Yes it is a Gibson... by extension... and an Aria too.

Do you think it is appealing to a potential buyer to see photos of their future guitar laying on a recently splooged on mattress next to dirty underwear and socks? Anyone?? Again. no? Wanted to ad some realistic appeal so people think they are buying from a clueless rube.

Must be working. It's been flagged for removal. Probably sold it. Right?

I look at it daily too and living in a large market area certainly helps. I have had many great Craigslist experiances and in reality though a bunch of good trading (always trade up! =P~ ) I have accumulated some pretty nice gear without spending any real money.

Ditto.....

I actually just found a 1964 LG-00 on CL (3 days ago and 4 days after buying my LG-01' date=' the family is growing quick...) about 2 miles from my house, entirely stock (including the plastic bridge!!!! I can finally see what they looked like) not a crack on her, in it's original "cardboardy" case, needless to say I snatched her away about 2 hours after the ad was posted:

[img']http://i38.tinypic.com/28sltld.jpg[/img]

15fn5vr.jpg

Long live CL and it's funny ads! =P~

Way to go Pascal!! Nice looking LG0.... How does it sound compared to your LG1?

Wish I had an original case for my LG1....

Thanks TP, I would say it sounds a little "cheaper" more nasaly than the LG1, and from all I heard, I suspect it is probably partly because of this infamous plastic bridge, but now that I have an entirely stock one, I don't know if I'll have the heart of altering it to gain on sound. I'll probably keep it like this, as it is pretty rare to come across a surviving plastic bridge, for the sake of owning a piece of intact history.... The action is way too high also and I haven't done any adjustment yet.

I do see a little bit of lift at the back of the bridge but I think those bridges were bolted on from the underside of the soundboard so I don't think it can open much farther, unless it cracks as so many of them did, so to be on the safe side I tuned it down 1 step. Sounds just like Lightnin' now!

Archived