Gibson Brands Forums

New "Old Amp" Day 2.0

Bluemoon

Just got my new Weber 12F150 speaker for the Blues Junior and a Ruby Reverb tank.

I will try to do the install tonight and let you know how she sounds. Weber was supposed to break the speaker in for me...though I am not sure that was done.

I am done messing with this amp. It has been a fun project...and worth it so far.

Sounds cool. What do those speakers cost?

Around $105. It took about four weeks to get it. They are handmade. You can customize them a little. You can tell them if you want light, medium or heavy dope (I picked no dope--since I don't play loud or with a lot of distortion). You can also select the wattage (25 or 50) and basket color (I picked bright red...not that anyone is going to see it. But it does look cool).

I have the same speaker and reverb tank AND the beam blocker. The speaker was a great upgrade on it's own but the beam blocker helped a lot with the hardwood floors. I bought the Ruby reverb 'cause the stock one died and the Ruby is VASTLY superior to the stock tank; don't expect big, surf guitar sounds, but it still has much better diffusion than the stock tank. I feel that all the mods were worth it although you can live without the beam blocker depending on your situation. Sounds GREAT set mostly clean with my 52 RI Tele.

Weber was supposed to break the speaker in for me...though I am not sure that was done.

I read what they do on one of the amp building forums I frequent although I don't remember which one.

I don't have the exact quote, but basically they use acetone around the edges of the speaker to do a quick break in. The acetone it seems begins to break up or loosen something in the speaker. They apply thin layers multiple times. Again I don't remember the exact process as I read about it a while ago. Oh the source was supposedly an email from Ted Weber explaining the process to the person who posted it (I think that was the source).

I only remember that because when I was in the printing buisness we used acetone and it's nasty stuff so I found it odd that they would use it on a speaker.

Ok...got the speaker and Ruby tube tank in.

The speaker sounds great. Might be a little too early to tell how she is going to sound. But so far she sounds great. Made the amp a lot more articulate, slightly warmer, and gave it crisper highs. Much warmer than the Jensen. The Jensen always sounded a little shrill to me. I haven't had a chance to push it yet.

The ruby tank was a great improvement too. The stock tank was a very tinny sounding and distant. The ruby seems to have a purer verb that is more integrated into the overall tone.

Archived