Gibson Brands Forums

Doves In Flight

DanvillRob

Does anyone have any strong feelings, (one way or the other), about a 2003 Doves In Flight?

I'm seriously considering one. Have been playing a 1979 Dove since about 1980, and would like a guitar

I can leave to my grandkids some day, (hopefully I'll HAVE grandkids one day).

Here are a couple of photos, let me know what you think.

I think it's beautiful, if a little over-priced.

Bob

th_used_004.jpgth_used_005.jpg

th_used_006.jpgth_used_007.jpg

Thanks, all..... I was going to see about going over to SF tomorrow after work, but as of today the Bay Bridge is closed!!

I haven't seen the guitar in person yet, and for the same reason I won't buy a guitar on ebay, (unless it's close enough to actually play it), I won't do a deal 'til I've had my hands on it.

I'll let you all know how it works out...gotta figure a way to get to SF during the evening rush without it taking 4 hours.

Bob

Looks like a sweet guitar. Teaching grandsons to play myself right now. Do it and they will always remember the days that they played with their grandfather. If you get that guitar' date=' I'll be your grandson.[/quote']

You might be the only grandson I ever have!!

My son never wanted to learn guitar, (even though I bought him one when he was young), but now that he's married, his wife wanted to learn, (she has to be the sweetest girl ever... can't believe my son could "marry up"!), and so he wanted to learn WITH her. I loaned them my 1969 Jubilee, (which really pained me), and told them NOT to buy anything 'til I could help them out. Then I bought them new guitars for Christmas. I bought a black Epiphone Hummingbird for her and a matching black Epiphone Dove for him. I customized the cases and accessories for each of them. I did this back in August, so they've been sitting in a spare room waiting for Christmas. I'm VERY excited to give them their guitars, (and get my Jubilee back!)

Bob

Photos of each of them.

th_CamKellys-c.jpgth_CamKellys-e.jpg

Rob, what kind of advice did you think you were going to get from this room of enablers????!!!!! Get it, enjoy it, play it......life IS short, BUT, negotiate the best price you can on that thing, economy is still slow, and they don't sell one of those every hour. Have fun, price negotiating in some countries is their national sport......

Rob' date=' what kind of advice did you think you were going to get from this room of enablers????!!!!! Get it, enjoy it, play it......life IS short, BUT, negotiate the best price you can on that thing, economy is still slow, and they don't sell one of those every hour. Have fun, price negotiating in some countries is their national sport......[/quote']

OWF, I was hoping you all would support the purchase, but was open to other suggestions, (such as a Hummingbird KOA). But I do love my Dove, (heck, I even like the Epiphone Dove & Hummingbird I got for my Son and DIL), and I want a "special" guitar this time. I was all fixed on a SJ-200 'til I saw the DIF. I especially like the back of the one in SF, (at Guitar Center). I have a GC like 5-6 miles from my home, but this guitar is in SF, (maybe 28-30 miles).

I have too many guitars, (is that even possible?), so I certainly don't "need" it.

Bob

See the difference in the back?

DIF in SF

th_used_007.jpg

DIF "Stock" Photo

th_DovesInFlight-u.jpg

Drive the 30 miles and play it. Oh by the way, I am only 56 , can I still be the grandson you never had? Sound like your Christmas is going to be like ours. Giving one grandson a starter pack with Epiphone SG and amp. Giving older grandson a Fender Amp and the six year old a snare drum and some accessories. Plus a couple of wireless Mics for them to share.

Get that DIF so that you can play together on Christmas and all of you can have new Guitars.

Drive the 30 miles and play it. Oh by the way' date=' I am only 56 , can I still be the grandson you never had? Sound like your Christmas is going to be like ours. Giving one grandson a starter pack with Epiphone SG and amp. Giving older grandson a Fender Amp and the six year old a snare drum and some accessories. Plus a couple of wireless Mics for them to share.

Get that DIF so that you can play together on Christmas and all of you can have new Guitars.[/quote']

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas at Grandpa's house! Kids really NEED to learn to play something...it's becoming a lost art, (much like 'Art' Bell...but we found him in The Philippines). 56? You might squeeze by as my son, but you're stretching it as a grandson.

I was going to drive over there tomorrow...but with the Bay Bridge down, I have to rethink when I can go...maybe next week.

Bob

Don't they have a ferry? Next week you might be out of luck. I get stuck on some idea and become obsessed until I have accomplished that goal.

I traded a pistol for a drum set and have it set up in my house also. My daughter thinks I may be a bigger kid than the grandsons. I hope she is right.

Go get that guitar, you owe it to yourself.

Don't they have a ferry? Next week you might be out of luck. I get stuck on some idea and become obsessed until I have accomplished that goal.

I traded a pistol for a drum set and have it set up in my house also. My daughter thinks I may be a bigger kid than the grandsons. I hope she is right.

Go get that guitar' date=' you owe it to yourself.[/quote']

You should NEVER ask if there are "Fairys in SF"!!

Bridge is STILL down today... I told the store manager I'll try to make it over next week, but if he can sell it, to go ahead... there'll be another!

Bob

Archived