Gibson Brands Forums

I want a good tuner - but I'm flummoxed

Riverside

Are you using it with an electric or an acoustic?

I'm looking for something to use with electrics - bass, too.

It looks like it's going to take about $100 for something (give or take $20) - there are just too many choices on the various (GC, MF M123, Sweetwater. etc.) websites...

What do you use?

I just use the one in my stomp box. I think I'd like a "clamp onto the peghed" version, too, so I can look modern...

Or just use my old guitar pitch pipe. <grin> I've discovered there are waaaaaay lots of younger pickers who don't know what the #$%#@$% that thingie is that I "beep" on.

<chortle>

m

I just use the one in my stomp box. I think I'd like a "clamp onto the peghed" version' date=' too, so I can look modern...

Or just use my old guitar pitch pipe. <grin> I've discovered there are waaaaaay lots of younger pickers who don't know what the #$%#@$% that thingie is that I "beep" on.

<chortle>

m

[/quote']

I'm kind of with you - I'm so old that I'm used to tuning using my ears...

But - I still think I'd like a good digital tuner.

Flummoxed? Why does that sound dirty?

I use a old analog electronic tuner when I'm out, (I don't much like the digital ones), and a piano when I'm home.

Years ago I went to an America concert, (the band), and John Sebastian opened for them. One of the guitar players in America couldn't tune his guitar on stage by ear, (in the years before electronic tuners were popular), and finally John Sebastian tuned it for him!

When I worked in a piano store, (back in the 60's), the piano tuners used an oscilloscope.

Just as a point of interest, I used my vibration tuner, (that clips on the headstock), to tune one of my pianos recently. Clipped it on the harp and it did the job!

Bob

Flummoxed? Why does that sound dirty?

I dunno. Prolly has to do with something about you... (smileyiconthingthatwavesitsarmsandblowsbubbles)

I'm very used to a number of analog ways to tune - but I still think a good digital device would be useful. I just can't tell the difference between a 15 dollar device and a one that goes for upwards of (well, use you own imagination.)

I usually like something else' date=' but I still don't get it.

Why is it better than the 15 dollar Korg?[/quote']

Because it's way more precise. And I mean WAY more. All other tuners I have tried only gives a so-so tuning when going by the visual indication. The stroboscope in the Turbo Tuner is a completely different experience (better than LCD and motor strobes), allowing you to nail every string quickly and precisely. The net result is that the guitar simply sounds better. It's also pretty feature packed and supports all kinds of tunings.

When I have guitars for thousands of dollars, why would I want a $15 barely working tuner... that wouldn't make sense ;-)

DJ

--

It as exact as a 1000.00 tuner as far as your ears are concerned. You can't even begin to tell me you can tell the differences in tunings between a small hand held tuner and a huge 1000.00 system.

Yes' date=' I can. Although the Turbo Tuners happen to be handheld, they have a precision of 0.02 cents. Better in fact than the $1000 ++ bench tuners that you can get.

If my tuners says its in tune and your tuners says its in tune and you hit both in tune strings guess what they are In-Tune.

No. E.g. a cheap tuner using LED or LCD segments cover a wide range of frequencies under each segment. When you hit the spot, you can usually be quite far from perfect tuning. Tuners with analogue needles are inherently imprecise. It is very easy to hear the difference. Really easy.

Now always does spending thousands of dollars equal to better, is it different scientifically; oh yeah. Can you hear the difference with your ears? I don't think so.

Yes, I can very easily. In fact its blindingly (or should that be ear shatteringly) obvious if you have a good sense of pitch.

No it's not always much better to spend thousands of dollars more, e.g. for certain guitars. However we're not talking thousands of dollars here. Only around one hundred. And that is a good investment if you care about quick and precise tuning.

In short, a good tuner is one of the best investments a string player can do.

DJ

--

Well' date=' I'm kind of thinking that tuned is tuned...[/quote']

Well, it was quite easy to hear that the tuning achieved with an el-cheapo (or built-in as a fringe feature) tuner couldn't match my tuning by ear. My tuning by ear can not match the tuning by a precise stroboscope. And I have an acute sense of pitch.

If you want a good tuner as the subject says, spend what one costs. If you want a cheap, and I guarantee you a bad one, spend $15. Good guitars, good strings good leads, good amps and good tuners all contribute towards good guitar sound. I rest my case.

DJ

--

Boss tu-2, it will work with bass, guitar, you can change the pitch so you can tune one step down (or half) and other stuff, yo ucan also power pedals with it and a daisy chain.

Then if you just feel crazy and want to spend a lot :-& there's the new TU-1000 (that makes me think BOSS guys have lost a couple screws)

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1011&ParentId=252

tu_1000_angle_1_gal-c9415e5dc8252fc7185053c128e78172.jpg

Archived