Gibson Brands Forums

Replacing Elixir with either Ball or D'Addario exp16

jsghome

I just switched to D' Addario's, from Elixir's , on my J-45. I like them ok, but do prefer the Elixir's. Elixir has raised their prices to the point that I can't afford them anymore!!

At 1st I didn't like the D'Addario's, but after a couple of days I like them fine!!

Elixirs are simply the best strings in my opinion. Well worth the money! I get like 3 times the life out of them. They keep the tone, less breakage, and don't get cruded out as quickly. So... they are kinda worh it. D'Addarios are my second choice. I'd do your self a favor and stick with Elixirs.

Elixirs are simply the best strings in my opinion. Well worth the money! I get like 3 times the life out of them. They keep the tone' date=' less breakage, and don't get cruded out as quickly. So... they are kinda worh it. D'Addarios are my second choice. I'd do your self a favor and stick with Elixirs.[/quote']

I agree completely. If you can afford them, stay with them. I can't afford the increase in price.

if you're set on coated strings i don't have much to add. i've used the elixer's for about a year and liked them fine. a few months ago i went back to non-coated and like them a whole lot better than the coated strings (granted i need to change them regularly whereas the coated strings seemed to last forever).

I've been using John Pearse and am really digging them. second to those i use the d'addario ej16 set. pearse costs more but not enough to keep me away.

Pearse: ~$7

D'Addario: ~$6

I prefer Martin SP 12's!!

I'm not that fond of Elixirs and would choose the D'Addarios in a two horse race.

This is exactly what I think.

I have the money for the Elixirs, but I don't like that policy of super high price! And I will never put them on my guitars.

I play now with Martin SP 12 and they just ring!!! And my M-R GIBS is happy with them.

Everytime I try a new brand of strings, I like them for a while but always go back to the Elixers. I like the Phospher-Bronze instead of the 80/20's. Light gauge. They are expensive, but worth it in my opinion. The Ernie Ball Earthwood strings were a great string to play. Had wonderful tone and a great feel. They just "gave-up-the-ghost" after a week though. Haven't tried the John Pearce strings yet.

My old '56 SJ really likes these. Newtone Strings. They have a huge, warm sound, with a slight metallic sheen, which sounds great after they are broken-in. They are handmade, with round cores, and have slightly less tension than strings with a hexagonal core. That translates to meaning that you can still use a medium gauge set, but also have more flexibility when doing bends, pulls, and hammer-ons. You can also order these in custom-made sets, tailored to your preference.

Age is also starting to catch up with me, especially in my fretting hand, but I didn't want to reset-up my guitars to accommodate light strings, or cause the tone to deteriorate and become jangly or floppy due to the downward shift in tension, either. I'm stubborn like that. These strings are not only an excellent compromise, but IMHO, superior to the sound of D'Addario's, especially the coated version. I have acidic sweat, but with nothing more than a quick wipe-down after playing, I'm getting about six to eight weeks out of a set, which is all I could ask for, really. Their longevity offsets the cost, to my way of thinking.

They can be a little pricey, but right now, Strings and Beyond has them on sale, and if you add the coupon code newtonesrock during the order checkout, you'll get an additional 10% off. I gave myself a treat today, and ordered several sets for all my guitars ... it's a good deal.

Quick Note: I don't work for any company that has anything to do with these strings. No endorsement compensation coming my way! I was turned onto these a few months back by a fellow picker, who coerced me into taking a pack so I could review them. I normally turn my nose up at lower tensioned strings, especially round cores, because I tried a set of DR Sunbeams a while back, and really disliked them. But these are a completely different ball of wax, so to speak.

In your situation, I'd recommend that you check out the Heritage Series. I'll eat my hat if you don't like 'em.

Later,

Flinx

Archived