Gibson Brands Forums

Show us your music room!

Wally Walrus

It'll be next year before it's finished, but i'm fixing to sell our 34'x20' above ground pool & use the leveled ground for a music room/home recording studio (something i've always wanted)

I'm going to shoot for about 20'x20' with a wallmount "blue flame" nat. gas heater with a thermostat, and a good window unit airco.........& i'll use a humidifier/de-humidifier as needed.

My wife & I will do ALL the work ourselves, and the city bldg. permit is only $15...........so it'll only co$t 1 arm and 1 leg, not both.

Mannnn I can't wait to get into it !!!!!!!!!!!

I have this ''obsession'' with rooms being really tidy, not necessarily clean, but tiddy, so Thundergod's and Stiffhands' are the ones closest to my tastes. Well done boys and I reallt like the colors (yes, even TG's!).

Retrosurfer, I take it that you are a professional musician but how do you find the time to play even half of the guitars you own...? Damn...!

''it's not a collection / can't you see on obession when you see it...?''

I must have read this somewhere... :-

I already have the sound insulating foam for the windows that will face the room' date=' I am trying to figure out the other layer that will go inside the window frame.

I'll think of something.[/quote']

Make it like a bass trap... use fiberglass in wall insulation, mounted on a thin piece of paneling, wrapped in cotton cloth and stapled on the back. It will be like a big, sound absorbing pillow.

We all seem to be alive with ideas to insulate/keep out outside noise.Which is next to impossible for your(me)average home recording enthusiast without the money to throw around.

But, what you also want to take into consideration is not to go too far and completely deaden the room. You want it to at least have some degree of life and tone to it.

The window in my Music room is pretty big and I did nothing to it from a acoustic treatment between the double pane glass and wood shudders and the air gap they create the window causes no issue. The only real problem I had was the door and I ended up going to a insulated solid core door to resolve that issue.

Archived