Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Factory Flaws

mking

I just bought a 2007 J-45 Red Spruce True Vintage and in mint condition. A beautiful guitar in looks and sound but my first Gibson. I have found a couple of flaws that because of where they are on the guitar (rossette, and under the headstock decal) that they must be from the factory. Anyone have the same experience with their J-45? Thanks.

The thing is, one of the things that make Gibson guitars such fine instruments is that they are not sterile machine made, sounding, or playing instruments that are all not exactly the same nor perfect, but rather consistently well made, hand-crafted instruments with a lot of soulful vibe in them and each being potentially a bit different (as each is a different instrument) as a result. That, over Gibson's history has always resulted in some of those insignificant/minor flaws getting into their instruments that can be found upon very close inspection...its just part of the instrument being a Gibson and not a sterile machine made instrument.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I understand. Like I said it is a beautiful guitar and I have seen many brand new guitars hanging in stores in worse shape than this one. Thank you for the note back. If you have more words of advise pleases send it on. thanks again.

I just bought a 2007 J-45 Red Spruce True Vintage and in mint condition. A beautiful guitar in looks and sound but my first Gibson. I have found a couple of flaws that because of where they are on the guitar (rossette' date=' and under the headstock decal) that they must be from the factory. Anyone have the same experience with their J-45? Thanks.

[/quote']

Welcome to the club.....lol....flaws and all, you know, a decal NEVER affected the sound on one of those.....play it and enjoy it, after all it IS a Gibson...

I get the message, lol, I will certainly enjoy it. Has anyone put a pickup in these guitars, and if so, what have you found to be the best that really produces the true sound of the guitar? I have the K&K mini Western in my HD-28V and I am very pleased.

The thing is' date=' one of the things that make Gibson guitars such fine instruments is that they are not sterile machine made, sounding, or playing instruments that are all not exactly the same nor perfect, but rather consistently well made, hand-crafted instruments with a lot of soulful vibe in them and each being potentially a bit different (as each is a different instrument) as a result. That, over Gibson's history has always resulted in some of those insignificant/minor flaws getting into their instruments that can be found upon very close inspection...its just part of the instrument being a Gibson and not a sterile machine made instrument.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff [/quote']

Very Good Answer :- May I use that Thought?

I get the message' date=' lol, I will certainly enjoy it. Has anyone put a pickup in these guitars, and if so, what have you found to be the best that really produces the true sound of the guitar? I have the K&K mini Western in my HD-28V and I am very pleased. [/quote']

I replaced the stock system in my 2005 J-45 with a B-Band Acoustic Soundboard Transducer (AST 1470) & am very pleased with the result. Plus it was relatively cheap!

Archived