Gibson Brands Forums

Do you think this classical insturmental is bad?

dem00n

I think certain genres are lenient with style. Punk allows messy strumming, for instance.

If you're gonna do Bach you have to become soulless, I dare say.

His music demands a machine-like metronomic rhythm and precision.

My mom studied piano in a music conservatory and didn't do well with the Bach back because she was, as the teacher put it, bluesing it up. The hair band up there did okay by garage standards, very cute and all, but at a music institute you'll find children playing it as it should be played.

The BGD guys are pro, good god!

Wow Demon I'll be damned[cool] That wasn't was I was expecting. It is a little piece like a prelude to something else right? In that context especially, it does the[biggrin] trick for me me.

Hi Izzy, I have met some teachers that didn't like Bach to be romanticised. I could see their point too with things like Gavottes that are dances and need to stay steady. I just interpret Bach, as many do too, in my own way now. I am aware that some people will not like that way, but that is life. I find his music very moving personally.

Great clip Riverside too.

Matt

Exodus! m/

I never liked the track, as far as I can remember. In fact, I think I kinda disliked the album as a whole, like it was a huge let-down after Bonded by Blood or something. It didn't do much for me today either, but I don't hate it or anything.

So, classical guitar. This dude grew up in my home town. He comes back now and then and give concerts at the castle here. I fail at getting tickets for it each year though. Had he still lived here, and had I been of any age to actually still be able to learn anything, I would have thrown money at him until he would give in and give me lessons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGFD_-FNEvo

What a cool clip! The Weiss fantasie originally in c minor one of my favourite pieces!! Cheers for this as I have just recorded a version of this too. I really like how he plays this, thanks so much.

Bach and Weiss were contempories, but there are so different in style. Weiss doesn't seem to have as much stuff going in the other parts concentrating more on the melody lines. I really like this as a relief to the relentless of Bach!!

Matt

Exodus! m/

I never liked the track' date=' as far as I can remember. In fact, I think I kinda disliked the album as a whole, like it was a huge let-down after Bonded by Blood or something. It didn't do much for me today either, but I don't hate it or anything.

So, classical guitar. This dude grew up in my home town. He comes back now and then and give concerts at the castle here. I fail at getting tickets for it each year though. Had he still lived here, and had I been of any age to actually still be able to learn anything, I would have thrown money at him until he would give in and give me lessons.

[youtube']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGFD_-FNEvo

Göran is indeed Top! I have his "eleven-string baroque"CD and the Bach suites CD and man this guy can play really nice guitar. Even his lighter works(The Beatles)are extremely interesting!

Hey, don't badmouth Bach.

If it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Seriously, I get the feeling that a lotta folks don't get it or care to get it that Bach is like any other written music and was not intended for "soul-less" performance. In fact, my understanding is that much of his stuff was intended as the basis for more fancied-up and personally-interpreted performance.

It's not, however, in general "dance music," which tends to be what most stuff one hears - and which is more obviously intended to have a degree of "feeling" added to it. On the other hand, it's also what we're most familiar with.

I listen to an old recording of Segovia doing "Chaconne"

(Sorry, the video is just a photo.)

Or - his master class "You have to caress this 'E.' You have to feel all that."

http://guitarvlog.blogspot.com/2008/06/andrs-segovia-master-class-chaconne.html

.... Also, there've been more than a few variations of "switched on" Bach through the years. Heck, I prefer using a hollowbody electric for Bach over my nylon string box. But that's why I like very light strings, too. I dunno.

m

That Exodus track gets a bad rap because it was an obvious attempt to imitate Randy Rhoads' "Dee". It came out right after the Ozzy Randy Tribute Album. That doesn't make it suck unless you compare it to these Real Calssical Players.

Interestingly enough, I was watching an old Documentary on the Death of Heavy Metal (from 1990, so you can imagine the grain of salt I was watching it with). At the end, they gave these two World Renown Classical Guitarist an Overdriven Tele and an Overdriven LP. They sounded 100 time worse than Exodus trying to play classical. I wish I could remember their names, it was on the DOC channel about a year or two ago.

Archived