Gibson Brands Forums

Spotting Fakes

Beerman

Hi, my first post [crying]

I always thought that one of the more obvious fakes was the SG with the 3-screw truss cover. Then I saw one on eBay and asked seller if he could confirm it was genuine, he said he had had it confirmed by an expert. I did a little Goole digging and found one article that said there were some rare SG's made with the 3-Screw truss cover.

It was the SG EB4L btw (SG Bass).

Is this right? I don't want to walk away from a vintage SG in the future if it is.

Here's the guitar http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360205399537&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Edit:

I notice the guy has put it up for sale again insisting it's genuine and has quoted this website http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/EB4L.php but I notice the picture of the EB4L has a 2-screw truss cover as well.

Hi!

Trussrod covers can be replaced for whatever reasons. Maybe a broken screw or thread. Who knows?

This bass looks legit to me, but strongly tinkered.

Anyway, I would never ever buy any guitar without seeing it personally and without beeing completely sure that it´s legit.

Greetings

Kurt

Who would replace a 2-screw truss-rod cover with a 3 screwed one? That's a bit like me customising a Ferrari by putting Nissan body panels on it. I guess someone might, if they didn't know better. But I was wondering if anyone knows if Gibson ever made any with 3 screws? If they didn't then a good test would be to remove it and check if there's a screw hole in the bottom position. Does anyone from Gibson post here that could answer this?

Real or not that thing is ugly as hell.

I wouldn't buy it.

This thing is confusing. I have really conflicting thoughts about it's authenticity. I have seen Gibsons with a similar control setup. I've never seen a back like that. 3 screw TRC is kindof weird, but understandable since it's a bass. The end of the fretboard looks kindof funky.

I don't know. I'm leaning towards real. Still looks like a piece of crap to me though.

I don't know if that one is real or fake but there is a 70's Gibson Acoustic in one of my favorite shops hanging up with three screws on the truss rod cover. The owner of the store took it with him to Nashville and had Gibson them selves authenticate it, so I guess there are models with three screws.

Archived