Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguard concept, need your help!

mooboo

The pickguard on my CL-30 Deluxe is coming up on the sides and is about done with. Instead of ordering a replacement I figured I'd give it a shot and make my own replacement out of maple, stain it rosewood colored, and inlay some vine-inspired scenery. Here is a paper mock up of what I came up with. I used an actual hummingbird pickguard and the one currently on there to create a mix-up of the two. Tell me what you think and how it could be better! Thank you!

4108745940_a720657f0c.jpg

4108746162_e63db120ed.jpg

Moobs, it looks good to me...I know the conservative answer is to go for a stock replacement, but if you're planning to keep your CL30 forever, why not personalise it? It may decrease resale value a bit but of it's a lifer then who cares?

I like to customise my guitars a little. I have a hand-inlaid truss rod cover on my Hummingbird (inlaid with a Dove no less, talk about a guitar identity crisis!), and I have engraved Goldbug machinehead knobs on the way too.

I say make your machine yours-customise it, play it, love it and let it become a part of your soul.

I will be keeping it forever! Plus, I traded an old broken Gibson for it that I bought for $150 so I'll get my money out of it no matter what! I'll post more when I get it mock-painted later. Any ideas to get me going on what to inlay?

Here is the second try at it.. Brought the top spikes down a bit to match the rest of the guard.. I will color it brown/red a little later to get a better feel for it. What do you all think?

I would keep it stock, Moo. BUT I do admit I like it! (this one). I would keep this pattern, but I would stay with tortoise.

Just my humble opinion, Bro!!!

I would keep it stock' date=' Moo. BUT I do admit I like it! (this one). I would keep this pattern, but I would stay with tortoise.

Just my humble opinion, Bro!!![/quote']

When you say stock do you mean the same as the guard that's on there now? Or do you mean the same material? Because I was looking at some blank sheets on tortoise, apparently price accordingly (?? 30-40 per sheet, self stick) to make my guard from. I may shy away from wooden, may be a little corny.

Also, about those white guards, I really like the second one!! However, on my amber-tinted plain top I think white would look awkward.

I hear you on the white.

I'm in a similar boat; I want to put a white pickguard on a guitar of mine, but the white is just too stark for it. If I could just get sheet of ivoroid, which would match the binding, then I wouldn't hesitate. I've searched like crazy, but only find ivoroid in binding strips or 1/4" thick sheets. The search continues :-)

When you say stock do you mean the same as the guard that's on there now? Or do you mean the same material? Because I was looking at some blank sheets on tortoise' date=' apparently price accordingly (?? 30-40 per sheet, self stick) to make my guard from. I may shy away from wooden, may be a little corny.

Also, about those white guards, I really like the second one!! However, on my amber-tinted plain top I think white would look awkward.[/quote']

Yea, Keep the original guard. But like I say, I really like the last template, too! Just make it in the tortoise. The color, I think, looks better with the natural finish on the top.

Archived