Gibson Brands Forums

New LP Owner Questions

dangeroso

Hey. As the title says, I just picked up a new Gibson LP Standard and have a few questions.

First, is there a way that I can tell the date of manufacture, based on the serial number? Also, I've heard a lot about replacement pots and wiring. Are the stock electronics that much in need of replacement?

Thanks!

Thanks guys. The pic in my avatar is the actual guitar I bought. Heritage Cherry Sunburst.

I got a great deal thanks to a mistake from music123.com. They had a 15% off coupon that was intended for overstock items only, but actually applied to everything they sold. Managed to get a new LP for $2150.

FWIW, I love the way it sounds as is. I'm playing through a Marshall TSL 602, and it sounds fantastic!

hi, i have my gibby all original, no mods... and it suits me perfectly... i play from jazz to black metal (a little of everything) and my gibson is all stock.

there are guys that change pickups, pots and even the cables... you can do that but if the guitar plays well and sound good then you may end up with a guitar you dont like... and of course you can allways revert, but youll have wasted time and money.

Best advice is to play your guitar a lot before making any mods, so you can decide if it fits you or if not, what needs to be changed. In my opinion, spending 2k on a new guitar and then spending 500 more in mods is a little weird (i would only mod a cheap guitar, if i spent 2 or 3k it would be in the perfect guitar).

Regarding the serial number... the firs and fifth numbers ( 0xxx5xxx) are the year... the second, third, and fourth number (x123xxxx) are the day of the year. (for example 03647xxx means your guitar was finished on december 30/2007)

dont change anything until you have played the guitar for a good amount of time. most of the electronics and other changes that people make have minimal effect on tone...though changing the pots can have an effect on tone/volume controls and how they taper...

if your guitar is a so-called "tone-turd," you can change the PUs, the bridge/tailpiece, the pots and caps and the wiring all you want, but the problem is that the wood that your guitar is made out of sucks.

i have said it before and will say it again... Tim, you are damn fast... i wonder if you battle crime in a red spandex suit with a golden lightning bolt when you arent playing guitar...

you play as fast as you write? (nah... no one could play THAT fast!)

i have said it before and will say it again... Tim' date=' you are damn fast... i wonder if you battle crime in a red spandex suit with a golden lightning bolt when you arent playing guitar...

you play as fast as you write? (nah... no one could play THAT fast!)[/quote']

Actually, this time of year is normally pretty slow for crime fighting and Commissioner Gordon doesn't call me too often on the Batphone. So, I have a some spare time to check out the forum.

Archived