Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Player

slashadler

Hey. I have been playing for about 9 months and I learned the basic chords and stuff. I can play about 15 AC/DC songs, 3 Rush, 10 GN'R and 4 Airbourne songs. I want to take my guitar learning to the next level. I feel like I am ready now. I want to know what I should do to take it to the next level. Should I start with scales and modes or what?? Please thoughts on this....

Play live with people. Piss on scales. Learn to figure things out. Live.

Play every day. For the rest of your life. Be hungry, never take a real job. Drink beer and smoke cigarettes.

Get married, get divorced, several times. Do a lot of drugs.

Just kidding.

I've tried that theory, and it didn't work. I'm gonna try it again though, just to be sure.........

:-k

Play live with people. Piss on scales. Learn to figure things out. Live.

Play every day. For the rest of your life. Be hungry' date=' never take a real job. Drink beer and smoke cigarettes.

Get married, get divorced, several times. Do a lot of drugs.

Just kidding.

I've tried that theory, and it didn't work. I'm gonna try it again though, just to be sure.........

:-k

[/quote']

HAHAHA my life.

On a more serious note, I'd say learn some of every genre, specially Jazz and Blues. Then take those songs and figure out why they are good EX: What notes did they choose? What style changes do they generally make for choruses or verses? What syncopation are they using?

All the while playing along to tracks and keeping yourself in time. If you don't own a metronome, google it, there are tons of free ones.

Take those changes you learned in the other songs and apply them in your own way but in time to that metronome.

I honestly wouldn't worry about memorizing scales right now, you can't be the lead guitarist if you can't write the song. Or if you are, then what's the point? That's just my way of looking at it.

I'd also listen to lots of Guitarists that also sing, because they write their guitars to match their vocals and vise versa. One of the best at it is Matt Skeeba of Alkaline Trio.

Learn to sing and play also - this is really really handy at getting women. Also, singing and playing helps you to not get distracted when stupid crap happens because you can learn to pull your head away from your guitar if you know what I mean. If you're like the rest of us you won't get super lucky and you won't be famous so at least having the skill of seducing any woman is totally worth it.

Just my take on it.

Ear training - along with a solid sense of rhythm it is THE most important skill to have as a guitarist, the sooner you start the better.

At the same time, work on linking your ear to the fretboard. I have a method of doing this if you're interested.

Archived