Gibson Brands Forums

Visited a house full of instruments today

ksdaddy

About 12 miles from me lives an old couple, he a Harvard graduate that taught music at the local college, she an artist/luthier. Yes, luthier. They're both seemingly well into their eighties (I didn't ask). They brought me her mother's violin that refused to stay tuned (bad peg fit, plus I straightened the warped bridge) and also a lute shaped classical guitar with very ornate rose, carved headstock and bridge.... oh lord it was a piece of work. I'll post pics tonight. On the back of the headstock was her name and '1963' when she built it. I was dumfounded and awestruck. It basically had one open glue joint at the heel of the neck and a wobby peg (it uses violin pegs).

She'd remind you of Ruth Gordon in "Harold and Maude" for any movie buffs. His belt wasn't QUITE up in his armpits but close.

So this morning before work I dropped off the instruments and made the mistake of entering the house. The living room was probably 25' x 35' and LITTERED with instruments. Harps, dulcimers, mandolins, balalaikas, violins, guitars, a banjo, on and on and on including some I couldn't identify.

Stacked up like firewood, leaning against any vertical surface that would contain them, some resting on others....

And stacks of paper, Notes, notebooks, artist supplies, books, records, tapes. Just filthy with stuff. Ever go into a museum and you almost get dizzy trying to drink it all in, and then just when you think you've seen it all, more pops up? That's what I went through.

As to guitars, I didn't take the time to root & dig but there were mostly old classicals. There were a couple old parlor guitars over in the corner with what looked like old ivory tuner buttons but they were stuffed in a corner and I wasn't quite prepared to ask if I could snoop. Maybe some other time.....

I don't know how long I'd last. She's a crazy old violin lady and you know how they are. Kinda cool despite that though, she still wears her hair long and dresses all black 1950s beatnik style (snaps fingers rapidly).

Well... you know..... any good luthier will make house calls.. you know a month or so

from now, stop in to see now your handy work is holdin' up.. and while you're there

it's easy to segue to any number of instruments they have in stock. This will give them

a chance to talk about something that is important to them... =D>

(anxiously waiting for pics) eusa_whistle.gif

Curious... why is it that this Gibson forum has only a fiddle for an icon? Gibson gettin'

back into the fiddle business? =D>

I hope you don't mind me hijacking the conversation and getting off topic...

But ksdaddy it's been preying on my mind for quite some time.

I've been admiring your avatar and I do see the resemblance so I wondered.. Is that

a Simpsons character?, if so which one? If not did Groening have you sit for a

portrait?

I think it's way cool.

Enquiring minds want to know.O:)

Exactly right. I did have to modify it just a tish. There are many MANY options and styles you can use. I think they basically start with a half dozen basic models based on gender and age group, then it's up to you to customize. I did have to modify mine a little... the stock hairdo I chose had two strands of hair on top when I clearly have eight.

I tried the simpson thing....it didn't work....just kept analyzing my photo

I tried it too, but it didn't work for me either. I thought that perhaps my photo was so ugly that I broke their system. I now realize that it may have actually been your photo that broke it, onewilyfool. :D

She was performing with a group that was doing a lot of old music.... not sure what you'd call it but thees and thous and lady fairs and all that. She wanted to look the part so she peeled the veneer off a blonde birch door for the top, sides and back. Not sure of the source for the rest. That was in 1963. There's actually an unfinished one (or something like it) in her living room. Looks like something you'd see in an old Orville pic, neck and rims, no top or back at this point. I think there was a top there with a partially carve rose. She did mention something about having a bandsaw down cellar but not a shop per se.

Archived