Gibson Brands Forums

What should Jesse spend his money on?

Silverbursted

My vote was for a Jimmy Page (the reason why it was #1 on the list), but I see that's what you went with.

Boy you can tell who your buds are here, most of them see you spending it on hookers, and the rest think you need more lessons. And BTW, "Blow" is a verb in this case and not a noun.

I voted guitar/music lessons, 2500 would go along way. You could have an hour a week for a year with a really good instructor, sit an exam that could lead to other things like maybe a few pupils of your own and at the end of the year you could reward yourself with a new guitar.

I never want to stop learning and taking lessons; I have got one with a hero of mine, Carlos Bonell,in a couple of weeks[cool]

It is so easy now, with the internet, to actually seek out those you admire and e mail them enquiring about if you can have a lesson/lessons from them.

Matt

I voted guitar/music lessons' date=' 2500 would go along way. You could have an hour a week for a year with a really good instructor, sit an exam that could lead to other things like maybe a few pupils of your own and at the end of the year you could reward yourself with a new guitar.

I never want to stop learning and taking lessons; I have got one with a hero of mine, Carlos Bonell,in a couple of weeks[cool']

It is so easy now, with the internet, to actually seek out those you admire and e mail them enquiring about if you can have a lesson/lessons from them.

Matt

+1

I take lessons and then I talk to some kids who never did. I know volumes more than them and I'm better. Hell it can even be a half hour.

A competant teacher goes way further than a fancy guitar.

I agree with you too DAS44[biggrin] (lets just always agree with other from now on okay![biggrin] )

Being able to make even the lowest quality guitar sing, is something I try my best, to nurture in my pupils: This and teaching them to teach themselves and to maintain an independence from me, their teacher.

If you do not know how to 'work your guitar', you can spend a lifetime chasing that illusive tone and spending $$$$$$ on gear;

I have seen this 'chasing their tale' situation in people...

Believing their Epiphone is substandard and the reason for the absence of a desirable tone, they save and finally get a Les Paul Studio thinking " hmmm my tone still lacks, must because it is a studio; when I get a standard though things will change..." then they realise a little while later the standard isn't quite hitting the mark, so they think "I have cracked it, a historic guitar is the way to go; that is it!!"

Once the honeymoon period wears off and they have gotten used to their new guitars beautiful aesthetic appeal, the reality comes back, when they see someone playing a made in China Epiphone, getting tones, that no matter how hard they try cannot.

A nice piece of kit is just the cherry on the cake, as so may people say, most of the quality is in your own hand, a 'great guitar' is not the be all and end all in my opinion.

Matt

Hmm, I intended the get guitar lessons as kind of a joke, but I agree with both Matt and DAS44. But on the other hand, humans are a vain bunch, and Les Paul players are probably above the line when it comes to vanity. Certainly Jesse is an accomplished player, as demonstrated by his success during the recent King of Blues contest. There is nothing wrong with desiring and playing a great guitar. We all have our idea of what their "dream guitar" is, so why not chase it. I am the first to admit that my guitar gear is better than my skills deserve, but call it vanity or what ever but I'm good with that.

With all that being said, Jesse should probably just spring for the hookers!!! [biggrin]

A nice piece of kit is just the cherry on the cake' date=' as so may people say, most of the quality is in your own hand, a 'great guitar' is not the be all and end all in my opinion.

Matt[/quote']

+1

Agreeing to agree

I started on the trumpet, went to keys, drums, learned about tempo, rythem, chord structure, scale theories, all the classical training one could ever need, spent plenty of time watching other talented players, hearing their tone and how well it worked in live situations, listening to their chops, their vibrato, their phrasing, what works, what didnt work, sat in with some bands, learned how to think and play on the edge of my seat, did some recording, heard what I really sounded like, did some performing, learned how to play while juggling bowling balls and chain saws while soloing and doing the chuck berry duck walk............

lessons are one thing I DONT need, but the next time one of you guys are playing someone, I would love to come watch and sit in the front row and focus on your fingers........

[cool]

Archived