Gibson Brands Forums

Buzzin Bridges !!

Strummer07

Hi there

wonder if you can help please ..................

I recently bought a Gibson 339 ......in sunburst and what a cracking guitar it is. (My US Fender hardly gets a look in these days. )

The 339 is just superb to pick up and has a lovely tone, the size is spot on for me and I don't feel I have lost anything much from the full blown 335 .....

However ..... In spite of a really good set up from the shop .....I find that I get a buzzing from the bridge every now and then when one of the intonation screws works a bit loose and buzzes slightly ( I understand its a feature of the 1962 ...ABR tune-a-matic bridge with added wire)

I have thought about getting the intonation spot on and then...................

1) just putting either tiny blob of superglue ?????( Concerned that this might render the srew a bit tough to use at all )

or a

2) a tiny drop of candle wax ?????on the the offending screws .............

its the G string or the B string where the screws seem to work loose most.

3) I have wondered if there is anyway of increasing the tension in the spring.... the function of which is to stop the screw working loose ........but it doesn't !!! Aaaaarrgh !!

Is there any other way of silencing the buzzing screws ...whilst keeping the screw usable for the purpose which they are designed.

Any thoughts from 335, 336 or 339 owners with buzzing bridges much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

I have a 339 too... I suffer from the same bridge buzz only thing is I suspect the buzz is coming from the wire that runs across the intonation screws. That being said you could take the wire off but if you were to break a string the screw and saddle would go flying... I wish I new the answer to the problem as well. I have brought it up here before but never really got a fix...

Lets see if one of the guitar Gurus knows something.....

I had/have the same problem with my SG Junior. I ended up contacting a guy recommended by Gibson who set me up with a modern Tune-O-Matic bridge fitted with brass reducers so it would fit neatly on the existing bridge posts. However, I'm having a problem with the G string bridge saddle rattling and, like you, have been considering putting a drop of Crazy Glue on it but, also like you, I'm apprehensive about doing it for the same reasons.

That was what I meant by a modern Tune-O-Matic. The first issue is that the posts are not the same diameter - they're larger on the Nashville bridge - which is why I had reducers installed in the replacement. The second issue is that the screw in the one saddle is now buzzing even in the Nashville bridge.

Never had the problem with a bridge, but...

If it is the screw itself, Loctite sounds like a good idea - it works well on firearms, anyway, and they have yet stronger vibration of a different sort, and yet similar concerns about damage to metal finishes.

But it also comes in several flavors. I'd not go for one of the stronger varieties.

This version sounds best off the top of my head right now, and might be found in a hardware store. The web site also may lead you to where you might make a purchase:

http://www.useloctite.com/products/product_details_threadlocking60a8.html

That's a low-strength variety. It still may be too strong, but the stronger versions are for big bolts and likely would be almost tantamount to welding the little stuff on a bridge.

Superglue likely would be too permanent; candle wax would quickly become just "dirt" thanks to the vibrations guitars are meant to create.

IF IT's the wire or whatever, I wonder too, ugly as it may be, about just adding a rubber band of some sort - maybe the little ones sold to tighten the fit of eyegrasses?

I had horrible buzzing from what's now my favorite archtop. Horrible. No matter what the strings, no matter what else.

Finally figured out it was the pick guard. Hmmmmm. Added a couple of the little felt thingies you get at the hardware store to put on the back of pictures and under curios on a shelf and... voila!

I think sometimes we let ourselves get too complex in solutions.

m

Dave...

Would testing with a rubber band of some sort be a good idea?

That should help isolate the problem of what's really buzzing?

When I had my pick guard buzz I tried a dozen sorts of options trying to figure why the "guitar" was buzzing no matter what. When I finally figured it out, it was with a chunk of facial tissue that quickly was replaced with the felt and a "frustration guitar" turned into my baby.

If its for sure the screws, a jury-rigged rubber band should be a temporary solution to be replaced with the loctite. But if it's the wire or some other variable... Well, I've felt dumb using a solution to a problem I didn't have, while the real problem kept on bugging me. <grin>

m

DIY mojo (from http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3911 )

If the bridge is buzzing because of loose screws, or you find that the saddle or bridge height screws (or even the intonation screws) shift, you can simply use your own way of gunking the bridge up. White teflon tape, available in hardware stores, is a good method. Wrap the tape counter-clockwise around each screw so it stays put when the screw is rethreaded. Loctite, which is a kind of glue designed for this sort of purpose, is also a classy way to do it - the "light" version (blue) is recommended.

However, you can use pretty much anything you might find around the house - if you have buzz from one or two loose screws, drops of clear nail polish or superglue onto the part are reversible with nail polish remover (acetone). For a bridge full of rattles, you can dip the entire bridge into wax like potting a pickup - let the stuff cool down, take out the bridge and wipe off excess wax. The screws are basically glued in place, yet the wax is soft enough to allow for easy adjustments. Even hair pomade has been used by one forum member to coat each individual bridge part and does the job.

Guys and Gals

thanks for the myriad of responses.......I am bowled over ... some great ideas too

Yup !! When I get to form a band ... "Buzzin Bridges" will be right up there in the name possibilities ( Thanks Big Bill !) mind you

"A Bridge Full of Rattles" ( Cruznolfart) is also pretty cool !!!

I'm gonna go with the clear nail varnish idea .......mainly 'cos I know my wife has some ( NO!! its not mine.............. honest !!)

I'll try that first and then the Loctite (blue ) idea .althought the PTFE tape ( Which is my take on Teflon tape suggested by Cruznolfart)

I am relectant to change the bridge as I quite like the guitar as it is and whilst I thank you for the idea milod ( Cracking avatar .... If your the one on the left I'd like to meet with you !!! :-) ) ... I just could not bring myself to go down the rubber band route. Just doesn;t feel very Rock and Roll !! l

Let me have ago this weekend and I'll report back

Nice to have found this site ....great folk here !!

Rock On ..................

Strummer...

I'm not a permanent "use a rubber band" guy either.

But it can be an excellent way to eliminate variables as part of diagnosis.

m

Hey' date=' Milo, if you were the one on the left *I'd* wanna meet with you too! [img']http://static.keebali.com/guitars101.com/forums/images/smilies/new/dancingnaughty.gif[/img]

Cruznolfart...

The one on the left? <chuckle>

Hailey Steele.

Played last weekend for our "National Finals Rodeo Sendoff" party here for the local competitors who will be riding at the NFR. We've got three area saddle bronc, one bull rider and a great barrel racer this year. Down from past years but...

Hailey's a cute South Dakota girl, strong voice... smooth rhythm style guitar. Down in Nashville with stars in her eyes.

http://www.myspace.com/haileysteeleband

m

Archived