Gibson Brands Forums

If I may suggest a book

Wally Walrus

Of course you may and perhaps I will check it out, when I find some time to read one.

What's the story behind it? The reason that I'm asking is becaused there was a TV-series in the '80s, by that name, starring Chamberlain, which was about the visiting of an western-man in the old-times Japan, which was based on a book if I'm not mistaken. Any relevance?

To gain a bit more insight into Shogun, read Hagakure and Go Rin No Sho. Both are short.

Also, at roughly this same time period there was a Dutch seaman stranded in Korea who achieved a rather lower class "adoption" into the society due to his western skills. But never, no way, would he have been accepted in the way this book portrays the Japanese as relatively accepting of a seaman into their higher classes.

It's been suggested, btw, that after the wars portrayed in Shogun, the Japanese invaded Korea - and some suggest that was to get large armies both busy and out of reach of starting another civil war. The Shogunate lasted until Meiji.

Bernard Cornwell is, I think, somewhat more read in the UK and more Brit-oriented ex colonies than in the US, but the stuff is really rather well done, including the class-ism found in the military of the era.

m

The book is great. You will be speaking "Shogunese" when you finish it. "King Rat" by the same author is also very' date='very good.[/quote']

That is so true. I read it several years ago and found my self "thinking" in the same language as the book.

Same thing with Rob Roy by Walter Scott

Wow...

I wasn't expecting any reply on this thread.

Well, not only the TV-series were based on the book but also the book was mostly inspired in the life of a real person named William Adams. How suprised I was to see that most character in the book had real-life counterparts. I could say astonished. I would never have imagined that such a heroic story would be even far from possible. But it kinda happened.

As Milod stated, the book portraits an english pilot under service of the Netherlands that arrived in japan during the shogunate period. Soon after the death of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, the great unifier of Japan. But, to be honest the book is not about the main character, because - the whay I see it - the focus here is the Japanese society, culture and history.

I remember that when I read Musashi for the first time the book introduction was bold to say that was a book about Japan written by a japanese and that unlike Shogun it was far more interesting and accurate.

Today, after reading both books, I really don't think that. Both books are great and surely Musashi had a greater impact on my life but Musashi is a story about the main character while Shogun really infused me with a much more complex understanding of the japanese culture.

As to Tai-pan my ex-girlfriend gave it to me a long time ago but I never really read it. Maybe in the next days...

Dem....

A number of writers through the years have written books that might be considered to have as a title "the art of war."

Jomini has much interesting to say, as do Clausewitz, both writers of the same period - although Jomini outlived C. Jomini was quite popular in the mid 19th century and might be said to have been part of the study of the better officers of the American "second civil war" of the 1860s.

Anyone interested in the subject also should read Vegetius. Go Rin No Sho is one that used to be read by a lotta karate guys through the years as well as students of traditional Japanese swordsmanship. It's also been used as a basis for business concepts.

De Saxe is something of an important writer on the subject as well. A study of the campaigns and innovations of Gustavus Adolphus might also be of some interest. In more modern times Basil Liddle Hart's and J.F.C. Fuller's stuff is along similar lines.

Regardless, one might question whether tactics or larger strategy is involved. One criticism of Jomini by supporters of Clausewitz' writings is that Clausewitz eyed strategy, Jomini tactics.

m

Archived