Gibson Brands Forums

SG Special Un-Faded

ssgfowler

I bought this SG Special Faded in early 2007. It has been a great sounding and playing guitar from the start. I've done a few upgrades here and there over the last 2 1/2 years, (Angus Young bridge P/U, aluminum tailpiece, Sozo tone caps etc.), but because the faded finish was so thin, it was starting to get dented and dinged up really bad.

I found a really super guitar tech locally and he gave it the full nitro lacquer treatment at a VERY, VERY, fair price. It was time intensive (about 8 weeks) and I cant believe he managed to get all the imperfections out as well as he did.

I've had it back for about 3 weeks now and I love it more every day.

001-1.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

(with my SG Special Classic)

SGs.jpg

I had only the body and headstock refinished and left the back of the neck alone because it was so slick already.

I had the money to buy an SG Standard when I went shopping for this guitar, but this one felt like someone made it just for me, and I still have less invested in it than an SG Standard.

NICE!!! Now you can see why the fadeds are that much cheaper: nitro finishes are VERY time intensive. You've gotta put on coat after coat, and then it's gotta dry for weeks before you can buff it. Also you need to seal the grain, yada yada.

With polyester finishes, they just zap it with UV, buff it, and it's done.

Guitar looks killer. However, I am the exact opposite. I love the look of a naturally weathered guitar. While I don't go out of my way to make sure there is a nick here and there, I certainly do not baby my SG. Chips and scratches are a sign that the guitar has been played.

tbone' date=' they put nitro on the fadeds, jsut only a few coats 2-4 iirc, unlike the 10 or something a standard shiny gets and then they dont have to buff it i think[/quote'] Also, they don't put grain sealer on the fadeds. This is usually the first step in finishing, and it prevents the VERY thin nitro lacquer from getting simply sucked into the guitar. This is also why the grain of the wood shows up so well on the fadeds: no grain sealer.

It's not the grain "sealer," that's missing, it's the grain "filler." Mahogany has open pores, which is one of the reasons Fender has traditionally used ash and alder. They are close-grained woods, which don't require the extra step of filling the pores to produce a smooth finish. The finish on the Special Faded is the sealer coat only, which is necessary to preserve the wood. The filler (and the top coats and buffing) are the labor-intensive, cosmetic part.

Archived