Gibson Brands Forums

Who is at the drivers seat in the European music world?

musicfreak

What European music? If there is something like an European music' date=' do you mean rock music in Europe?:-k [/quote']

@ above

I hope you get it right.

I mean who are the people who are driving music world in Europe. this belongs to all kind of muic.

I have pretty much given up on American music. I primarily listen to obscure (to Americans) European metal bands.

TYR (Faroe Islands), Gojira (France), Ensiferum (Finland), Wintersun (Finland), Dark Tranquility (Sweden), Amon Amarth (Sweden), Eluveitie (Switzerland), Alestorm (Scotland), Suidakra (Germany), Opeth (Sweden), Turisas (Finland), Glittertind (Norway)...........the list goes on. I don't know what is popular in any country, I only know what I like.

Who do you consieder to be the driver? Who has the most talent or who is selling the most albums and tickets? They are not always the same.

I have pretty much given up on American music. I primarily listen to obscure (to Americans) European metal bands.

Who do you consieder to be the driver? Who has the most talent or who is selling the most albums and tickets? They are not always the same.

Interesting... How do you think, how long can the talent be without financial support from albums and tickets? Or iow is it possible to become famous today without big money, big financing and tough producer??

Interesting... How do you think' date=' how long can the talent be without financial support from albums and tickets? Or iow is it possible to become famous today without big money, big financing and tough producer??[/quote']

Those are the ones who sell a lot of albums and tickets in a very short time and some either barely stay afloat or disappear. They are just part of a fad. They are either manufactured or happen to be in the right place at the right time. To it seems in the USA, most of Billboard's top 40 are manufactured. Uninspired crap. Example: Lady Gaga - timing and a gimmick. It works for her. Britney Spears - manufactured. Bands like Sugar Ray (R.I.P.) piss me off because if you listen to their first album, it sounds nothing like every other P.O.S they churned out. Why? Because the lame-a$$ song "Fly" made them popular so every song and album after that sounded exactly the same. They became what the music execs wanted them to be. Music is a business like any other. The ones in control know nothing about music, only business and how to make money off of it.

Once people move onto the next fad, the finance and support are gone. Loook what happened to Stabbing Westward. Don't get me wrong, I still like their music.

I just like "real" music and there is not much of that in the USA. I'm going to make some people mad here but how is it that bands like Green Day get so big and get so much attention and write the same 4 songs over and over again and groups like Filter are not getting as much airplay?

You can't get super famous in the USA with out all the financing. BUT, touring and getting that kind of exposure is what helped Metallica in the beginning. It is working for Lamb of God (who I'm not really fond of) but they worked hard and earned everything they've got and I have a lot of respect for them. Europe seems to have better schools for music. Kris Norris went to Norway to study. Chris Amott put fame on hiatus to study music. To my knowledge, Arch Enemy has achieved super stardom in Europe and Japan. Not as much in the US which is sad because they f***ing rock. European bands seem to take more time to understand and study their craft. I guarantee Green Day hasn't had a week's worth of music lessons between the three of them. New Found Glory is the same story.

I sincerely hope I am not reading the threads question too literally; the danger if I am is that my post may appear sarcastic which is not my intention.i

My interpretation of people at "the driving seat" is people who in my opinion, have unusual and great talent. People that are either acknowledges as great, or will be one day be regarded as that (obviously that is down to personal opinion)

Well great European music, over the centuries ranges from Bach, Teleman, Mozart, Handel, Haydn,to romantic (and onwards) composers such as Beethoven, Chopin and Brahms to 20th century gents such as V. Williams, William Walton and Benjamin Britten. Current composers that are making a noise in the world of classical music include people like Stephen Goss and Elliot Carter, not to mention people like John Williams (film composer not guitarist) Howard Goodall and the amazing John Barry and Howard Shore, who write for the medium of film music.

Pop/rock Aside from the most obvious great bands such as The Beatles, Zeppelin, The Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd. Queen etc etc. There has been some fantastic talent of the last 20 years in popular music[cool] . Whether it be Oasis, Radiohead, Keiser chiefs, The Manic street Preachers, Blur, Amy Winehouse, Joss Stone or Derek Trucks current times look bright to me.

I have just covered what just jumped into my mind at 1538 after a busy day so forgive the long post and it is no way comprehensive..but yes!! there is some great stuff going on[cool]

Matt

Archived