Gibson Brands Forums

No More NITRO !

daveinspain

Murph's Cap and Tax thread made me remember something my Luthier told me when I was in his shop last time. He told me that very soon, like in 2010, the use of Nitrocellulose Varnish is going to be banned because of green house emissions or some crap like that.... He is varnishing my LP gold top project with it and commented that he wont be able to get it any more. So what will Gibson use as an alternative?

Murph's Cap and Tax thread made me remember something my Luthier told me when I was in his shop last time. He told me that very soon' date=' like in 2010, the use of Nitrocellulose Varnish is going to be banned because of green house emissions or some crap like that.... He is varnishing my LP gold top project with it and commented that he wont be able to get it any more. So what will Gibson use as an alternative? [/quote']

I build city transit buses....we buy more than 100 gallons of paint each week, (depending on the paint schemes of the buses we build), and the paint we now have to use is crap..... as is the undercoating..... no chromates.... water based.....and next year the restrictions get even worse... pretty soon we'll have to rub mud on the sheetmetal to protect it from the chlorides that are put on the roads!

It was my understanding that the VOC's and other environmental (emphasis added) concerns were the reason Fender moved much of its production to Ensenada, Mexico - to escape the ominous and foreboding California governmental meddling that tortures businesses there 24/7.

In many cases, there are no laws passed to ban a certain chemical or process outright.

It's the cost of compliance attached to their continued use that would bankrupt those who generate the products, materials and paychecks that make a country someplace worth living in.

Not hard to imagine how happy the Green Weenies and Enviro-Nazis would be if we became a 3rd World country.

... and none of them have never been to any such land to see how ugly the reality is...

Archived